Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Christmas Things I don't miss .....

(41 Posts)
Danceintherain2015 Wed 02-Dec-15 18:27:54

In the same vein as " things I don't miss about my ex" but with a festive feel!
I was putting up my secs today and have these cute Nordic wooden decorations I habg on my kitchen door handles and as I hung them today remembered how much my Twunt ExH used to moan about them so much until I took them down! Now I can leave them up all year!
Also how Xmas secs were only allowed to be put up the Sunday before and taken down on 1st Jan ! Now I put them up on 1st of December - BECAUSE I CAN !!! fsmile

Danceintherain2015 Wed 02-Dec-15 18:29:48

Christmas DECS not secs!!😀

turbonerd Wed 02-Dec-15 18:40:21

Was just thinking about this the other day. Do not miss ex pissingly drunk just before xmas, the house a mess and on fb people had photos of their festive houses/xmas trees etc. Me and kids sat in terror in the livingroom incase he got in and started yelling and throwing stuff around.
Ha! None of that for the Third year running. True festive Joy that is.

Scarydinosaurs Wed 02-Dec-15 18:46:59

None of his disgusting TACK!

I love eating Christmas dinner at a TABLE and not ON OUR LAPS IN FRONT OF THE TV!!

I do not miss him or his trashy family. Bliss, pure bliss grin

SnowMuchToBits Wed 02-Dec-15 18:50:53

Being able to play Christmas music on the CD player whenever we want, because no-one will grump about it! fgrin

Cabrinha Wed 02-Dec-15 18:51:21

Last Xmas my XH bought a Xmas door mat - Santa in the chimney, not my thing, but OK.

Well my friends, yesterday, that doormat came back into season. Yesterday. It's been there the WHOLE FUCKING YEAR!!

He's the laziest person I know and every child drop off I stand on that mat and think "put the damn mat away".

And breathe 😂

So - Xmas themed, I don't miss his fucking laziness!

Cabrinha Wed 02-Dec-15 18:52:51

I've just realised that my post is massively identifying shock
If his girlfriend reads MN, she might not want to search my posts unless she has a friend for moral support, a big glass of wine to calm her down, and an axe ready to bury in his head!

Justmuddlingalong Wed 02-Dec-15 18:53:02

Shitting myself that ExDH would swap from lager to whisky on a Christmas night out. It turned him into a violent, abusive bastard. I will never forget that feeling of dread, knowing how the night would end.

Handywoman Wed 02-Dec-15 19:00:26

Won't miss the taunt getting in an utterly foul sweary evil mood, due tonthe deeply stressful and exceedingly awful task of:

Putting up the Xmas lights.

Rightoh

Handywoman Wed 02-Dec-15 19:00:56

Twunt not taunt

Doughnutsandflapjacks33 Wed 02-Dec-15 19:01:40

Xdh would never let me buy a nice artificial tree ( too much money for something you only use once a year ), so this year a bought a nice new tree and it looks amazing. Christmas Day will be a bit odd this year without him but I won't miss having to wait for him to have a cup of coffee and him spending a hour on the loo before we open presents grin.

AlphaOmicronPi Wed 02-Dec-15 19:09:36

Ex expected me to organise and pay for all Christmas presents despite being a SAHM and having no income. I used to sell things on ebay to afford Christmas presents for the DCs. Very occasionally he would part with cash but only after he practically made me beg for it.

His fucking family. Ex insisted we visit them. His dad made it clear that he thought I was a waste of space because I wasn't a size 8. My ex never, ever defended me. Twunts the both of them.

And I definitely won't miss having to eat beef on Christmas Day because ex claimed he was allergic to turkey.

myown2feetaregreat Wed 02-Dec-15 19:12:07

Drunk EVERY christmas eve, looking for a row .
Cleared table before last person had finished eating, embarrassing guests, so none got invited other than his awful family.
Hogged the tv , Dad,s Army repeats yawn.
OW welcome to him, now he has to pretend to love all her fav bands and go to concerts. Good luck with that!
All is peace,all is calm now.
Love this thread. fsmile

Whythehellnot Wed 02-Dec-15 19:19:28

The last Christmas exh spent with us it took him till 9.30pm on Christmas Eve to ask if I needed a hand. That is, after buying and wrapping all the dc's and family's presents, all the food shopping, meal prep, turkey etc, decorations, cleaning, absolutely everything. He was safe to ask then because he knew I had done everything.

He never knew what I had got the dc, no interest whatsoever.

He was always miserable and Christmas Day was no exception. He used to escape all Christmas morning and still be hiding when all the family arrived for lunch. Anything to get out of doing anything.

Good thread! I could go on and on.

marriednotdead Wed 02-Dec-15 19:29:41

Ha, great thread!

I shan't miss waiting for the time that suited ex for me to put the tree up- daren't disturb sport on tv. I love my tree, collected lots of beautiful glass baubles over the years which get many compliments. My delighted 'what do you think?' as I finish the masterpiece usually got the dismissive response 'whatever, it's not my thing is it' and my instant deflation.

The increased excuse for alcohol excess not that he needed one which made his moodiness even worse.

Could never watch anything I wanted without it being a huffing episode. Or play my taste in/Christmas music if he was in the house.

The strop over something trivial that ruined almost every special occasion Christmas Day.

This year I will not be planning my Christmas around all the fucking soaps and intend to have a peaceful alcohol free afternoon of my choosing soon putting up my tree while the music channel plays Greg Lake's I believe in Father Christmas.

Can have pork in the house now too so we will be having pigs in blankets grin

God that was cathartic but I know there's more, he's only been gone a few months hmm

Justmuddlingalong Wed 02-Dec-15 19:34:35

Ex Fil removing his plate and himself from the dining table, so that he could eat his christmas dinner on his lap, on his own whilst watching yet another rerun of any James Bond film. Ignorant, ungrateful shit.

BestestBrownies Wed 02-Dec-15 20:06:34

I wouldn't know where to start with the things I don't miss about those 12 miserable, lonely, shitty Christmasses I endured with my alcoholic, oxygen-theiving, abusive ExH, or the horrendously depressing Christmas 2013 I spent working as a live-in slave Nanny.

Instead, I will be enjoying spending my second Christmas in a beautiful little chalet with a log fire, skiing down the pretty snow-covered mountains, eating proper Christmas food (I even found GF stuffing mix, yay!), with a sensitive, thoughtful DP who cares about and respects me, doesn't try to change or control me, and who shares my life goals and ideals (and who's pretty damn gorgeous and great in the sack wink).

BestestBrownies Wed 02-Dec-15 20:18:57

OMG Married I identify with everything you've just posted! Especially the parts about stropping over feck all with the express intention of ruining the day just so it could be all about HIM and the being dismissive of each and every one of my achievements, no matter how small.

Just thought of another one. ExH was a chef, but I would do ALL the cooking/food prep at home. If we ever had guests he would flounce in to the kitchen and take over at the last minute, then lap up all the compliments and credit for the lovely food. Fucking tosser

Danceintherain2015 Wed 02-Dec-15 22:56:25

Ooh loving this ! Not just me then?
Yes yes yes to flouncing around the kitchen like frickin Michel Roux whilst telling me I couldn't possible manage a Christmas dinner - well seems to me no ones complained the last 3 years and my lovely kind gentle DP thinks I'm an amazing cook and amazing person all round - so Bah Humbug to you arse face ! fangry

janaus Thu 03-Dec-15 01:14:29

Haha, having a good laugh here. Reconciling here, so DH kindly offered to pay for some Xmas gifts, first time ever. Diamonds might be looking good. Bring it on.
Well done to all you girls/guys

kittybiscuits Thu 03-Dec-15 06:09:13

More drunk than usual, moody, snoring, farting, lazy pig.

Peace and harmony this year fsmile

wannabestressfree Thu 03-Dec-15 06:17:12

I don't miss the constant boozing around christmas. He used to attend do after do and he couldn't just have a 'few' he got absolutely smashed....
Mind you this was the man who had six 'wetting of the babies heads' and fell on me drunk the day I left the hospital post section.

Ledkr Thu 03-Dec-15 07:07:31

^^
What she said grin

Dreading christnas dos because he would get fall down drunk and piss all over the place.
So then christnas was full of angst and resentment.

I love having a normal dh who can actually go out and return pissed but able to stand in his feet and use the conveniences wink

Cabrinha Thu 03-Dec-15 07:23:13

Janaus even if your husband wasn't a lying cheating arsehole, I think he's divorceable for never buying presents in 40 bloody years?!!!

Do yourself a favour - don't get diamonds. The resale value is AWFUL. If you must have jewellery, get gold. But better still, something high value that will keep it's value when you divorce the bastard.

LittleCandle Thu 03-Dec-15 07:28:30

"You go and sit down, darling, and I'll do the meal." Then he would call me into the kitchen every 2 minutes to ask if the gravy was ok (always had to start again because he added so much salt to it) or to 'just' sort the potatoes or... The list goes on. PILs, plus SIL, both BILS and adult niece and her family would then descend about 5pm and he would have bought shit-loads of sandwich fillings and they would not eat anything. AL=lmost everything he bought would then end up being thrown away as he wouldn't eat any of it and it was usually stuff I wasn't keen on and that DD1 was highly allergic to!

Giving me money to buy the gifts, then complaining that I hadn't bought that much and buying more to top them up. Getting well tanked up (although that was pretty much par for the course every day) and getting BIL so drunk on our last Christmas together that he was incapable of telling the taxi driver where he lived. XH thought it was hilarious.

Insisting on us having venison for Christmas lunch one year, and then complaining as i made a completely separate meal for DD1, who is very allergic to red meat, which he was well aware of, but didn't really accept it.

Asking if DD1 could get Smarties for Christmas - and being angry when I replied that they would kill her on Christmas Day just the same as any other day of the year. He seemed to think there was some kind of 'free pass' for allergies because it was Christmas.

How did I put up with him for all those years?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now