Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What's the weirdest present you've ever had from a date or partner?

(51 Posts)
strawberryandaflake Mon 30-Nov-15 09:36:32

Following on from the terrible dates thread and the poor soul with novelty sponges... Bahahaaa!

What's the weirdest thing a partner or date has ever given you?

I got a webcam so we could 'talk' online. On a second date. Creep.

frillybiscuits Mon 30-Nov-15 09:44:44

For our first Christmas my ex gave me stuff that his mum had bought for him to give me. Yes, she chose the things for him to give to me as if he was 13. It was one of those little ornaments that you hang necklaces off of (I don't wear jewellery) with the 50p price sticker still on and a pair of girly fluffy socks that I have never worn. His mum had also bought the card for me which was a sweet girlfriend card. The whole thing was weird, childish and tacky. I on the other hand had bought him and his best friend tickets to see his favourite band and chose the card myself. One of the many reasons why I've put that family behind mehmm

frillybiscuits Mon 30-Nov-15 09:46:43

Oh, I forgot to mention he was 21 at the time and had a full time job so fully capable of choosing and buying his own gifts to give

strawberryandaflake Mon 30-Nov-15 09:58:51

Hahah! I mentioned this in the other thread too but after 4 years of being with someone I wanted a bit of commitment. He asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said something sparkly. I have no idea where he got fairy lights from in May..!

janaus Mon 30-Nov-15 10:12:50

Ohhhhhh, I wish MN had a 'like' button, lol, love the fairy lights

TeaStory Mon 30-Nov-15 11:40:31

Maybe not "weird" so much as "thoughtless and annoying".

One of my Christmas gifts was a pair of washing up gloves, because I'd mentioned I needed to get some.

FrancoisLaPrune Mon 30-Nov-15 11:48:42

I had been with my ex for almost a year and it was our first Christmas together, he got me a car stereo. It wasn't boxed and was clearly used stolen, it was wrapped in plastic bag with my name scribbled on the packaging with marker pen.

Not weird as such but pretty shit none the less. We split not long after when I found out he cheated on me. Lucky escape!

MadHattersWineParty Mon 30-Nov-15 11:53:40

I got a birthday card from a boyfriend once and inside it had a stamp card thing from cafe Nero.

It still had three stamps to go before you could get the free coffee.

miaowroar Mon 30-Nov-15 11:56:36

A pogo stick - truthfully.

I don't recall ever mentioning that I'd like one.

He gave it to me while we were at his parents' house and his two little sisters (7 and 5 at the time) took a shine to it. I can't remember if I ever got it back.

cathpip Mon 30-Nov-15 11:59:52

My first ever Mother's Day dh got me a jewel shaped ice cube tray, we had loads of ice cube trays as I had just started weaning ds. confused

Roomba Mon 30-Nov-15 12:49:01

A hairdryer. I had been hoping for (it had been seriously hinted at!) an engagement ring... My face must have said a thousand words.

MrsGrahamCoxon Mon 30-Nov-15 13:14:58

A fish. A whole fish, left on my doorstep. It's actually one of the better presents I've been given

millionsmom Mon 30-Nov-15 13:31:00

This gem last Christmas.

Frostycake Mon 30-Nov-15 13:43:45

I was given a yoghurt on a first date by a man from Bowden in Cheshire. For those not in the know, Bowden is to Cheshire what Esher is to Surrey so not short of a bob or two. He got dumped after an hour.

Frostycake Mon 30-Nov-15 13:44:22

Jesus millionsmom what the hell is that? Looks like concrete waste pipe filled with rubble!

Joysmum Mon 30-Nov-15 13:44:54

My DH got me an 8ft shed for raster and and wheelbarrow for Christmas.

Both were perfect gifts for me though. I'm not impressed by the usual grin

millionsmom Mon 30-Nov-15 14:06:04

Frosty it's a water feature. With a light. I'm so blessed. It sounds like someone peeing.

He was almost wearing it. He bought me a candle and a candle suffer too. They nearly went where the sun doesn't shine.

This years present better be good, though it doesn't have to go far to beat that!

strawberryandaflake Mon 30-Nov-15 14:09:03

You reminded me! I once also got a computer monitor for Christmas. A very old, beige-gone-yellow, big as a house one. With a bow round it and no paper.

I was so excited I accidentally dropped in it the skip.

redredblue Mon 30-Nov-15 15:29:29

A dog teddy.
Which I hated considering i don't like dogs, at all!
And he knew I don't like dogs, so why on earth did he think I would like that??

LonelySatsuma Mon 30-Nov-15 15:31:24

He handed me a pot of Bodyshop hemp hand cream on our second date and said 'I noticed your hands are a bit dry.'

Charmer.

DixieNormas Mon 30-Nov-15 15:35:07

A teddy, still had the tag on it. Turns out his ex had bought it him and had written a lovely message in it

redredblue Mon 30-Nov-15 15:35:09

Also, same ex... I spent ages picking out really thoughtful presents that I knew he would love came to about £100.
He bought me the cheapest lingerie set I have ever seen! Actually i call it a set but it wasn't matching in the slightest. It cost about £15. And that was my only present.

DixieNormas Mon 30-Nov-15 15:36:56

I also had the pleasure of meeting the ex, walked up to me in a pub and threw a drink over me, should have known then

donajimena Mon 30-Nov-15 16:06:28

Three heart shaped 'nibble dishes' from Asda. Twat. I never entertain.

CwtchMeQuick Mon 30-Nov-15 16:12:31

My ex once gave me a beautiful diamond and ruby ring. Family heirloom he said.
But could I please not wear it when we went to his mothers house.
Transpired he'd broken into his grandparents house when they were on holiday and stolen it.
He thought I'd be touched.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now