Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

gift advice please

(10 Posts)
coalfire Mon 16-Nov-15 23:36:15

Have no idea where to post this.
I am meeting a relative for the first time next week. It feels important
He is an eighty years old, with preppy leanings, white-American, comfortably off (can't define US class!).
What would be a good gift to bring from England?
Any ideas?
I'm at a loss!

Joysmum Mon 16-Nov-15 23:39:18

Classic British book of poetry or novel.

coalfire Mon 16-Nov-15 23:45:40

I've done that for the younger relative (my age) but I'm not sure how much of a reader he is (or how novelistically inclined...).

AnotherEmma Mon 16-Nov-15 23:47:55

Consumable, typical English things. Craft beer/ale. Tea (of course). Marmalade. Shortcake biscuits. And so on. If you have space in your luggage you could do a mini hamper.

goddessofsmallthings Tue 17-Nov-15 00:36:20

Anything Harrods is sure to please as the shop is known around the world for being the epitome of class and quality that it no longer possesses

Perhaps the loose leaf tea hamper www.harrods.com/product/loose-leaf-tea-gift-pack-3-x-125g/harrods/000000000001874887?cat1=new-food-and-wine&cat2=new-food-tea-and-coffee&cat3=food-tea-coffee-view-all along with those quintessentially English delicacies known as The Gentleman's Relish and The Poacher's Relish - the tea caddies and little pots will be treasured long after the contents have been consumed. smile

If weight isn't a huge issue I'd accompany the above with a jar of marmalade from Fortnum's www.fortnumandmason.com/t/categories/food-hall/fortnum-classics/preserves-and-marmalades Sir Nigel's, Old English Hunt and the Orange Marmalade with Champagne are delicious and can't easily be obtained stateside.

Alternatively, if you're flying out of Heathrow you could buy a duty free Jo Malone candle in a typically British fragrance such as English Pear and Freesia - Harrods also have outlets with mini food hall sections at various Heathrow terminals.

Being me, I'd gift him with the lot and chuck in a teapot www.ebay.co.uk/itm/London-Landmarks-Design-Bone-China-1-Litre-Teapot-/141721949838?hash=item20ff49568e:g:o3IAAOSwu4BVqou2 grin

AnotherEmma Tue 17-Nov-15 00:41:11

goddess "being me" ...a millionaire?!

goddessofsmallthings Tue 17-Nov-15 01:16:52

Less than £100 is hardly millionairesville, Emma.

I would push the boat out for an 80yo relative I've never met and may be unlikely to see again, but the OP may not be of the same mind and is under no obligation to buy all or any of the items I've suggested

janaus Tue 17-Nov-15 02:02:26

A set of coins from his birth year?

AnotherEmma Tue 17-Nov-15 08:30:14

goddess I meant my comment light-heartedly smile

PhoenixReisling Tue 17-Nov-15 09:28:14

I vote for harrods too.

biscuits, English tea, maybe a China cup and saucer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now