Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

People who met their DH after 30 - tell me your stories? Feeling low today, all my close friends married by 27...

(82 Posts)
fedup098 Sun 15-Nov-15 16:34:06

I posted earlier about not having had much luck with dating this year. I'm 30.

Can anyone tell me their stories (hopefully happy ones!) about meeting their DH?

All, and I mean all, my close friends married between ages 24-28. I need some positive stories!

puglife Sun 15-Nov-15 16:36:30

I met my now DH 2 months after I turned 30. My 30th was pretty rubbish being single and feeling like it would never happen. My dating experiences were all disasters!

Met my DH online, married a year later and now pregnant.

It WILL happen! X

Savagebeauty Sun 15-Nov-15 16:36:31

I met mine at 33. Divorced this year smile
But have met someone at the age of 55 and it feels great!!

fedup098 Sun 15-Nov-15 16:37:21

thank you!! smile

puglife congratulations smile

lavendersun Sun 15-Nov-15 16:40:33

Met DH at 36 after not dating for a couple of years. I hadn't even met anyone I wanted to have dinner with in the preceding 12 months.

Had two dates and then he went away for three weeks, he moved in the day he got back and we sloped off to the registry office on the quiet soon after.

12 years on we are still very happy.

fedup098 Sun 15-Nov-15 16:42:09

lavender how did you know it was so right?

lovely story!

nuttybananas Sun 15-Nov-15 16:42:36

met mine at 34 (on a sports interest holiday), living together a year later and had our first little girl just before I turned 38. (40 now and pregnant with #2).
at 30 it was really getting me down that my relationships were rubbish. by 33 I'd resigned myself to being single and looking into adopting - so it can change rapidly! X

29herzie Sun 15-Nov-15 16:43:14

Plenty of time after 30 (although I remember it certainly didn't feel like that at the time!) I met DH a couple of weeks before I turned 34, I am now 39 and we got married earlier this year and DC2 arrived a few weeks ago. We met through mutual friends, I just wish they'd have thought to introduce us sooner ( it took them 7 years!) Mind you I might not have been interested in my 20s?

NoisyOyster Sun 15-Nov-15 16:43:40

Felt horrendously low for my 30th. Single, and like you op, all my friends were, to borrow Bridget Jones' phrasing "smug married couples"

I didn't even have a life where I could go out and do things to meet people, my work kept me busy 24/7
I was utterly miserable, single and in fear of living solo with a fish.

BUT. I always kept the faith, one day, the universe would send me my Prince Charming

Then when I was 31 it was one of those cold November rotten grotty evenings, where you just NEED. A. DRINK

I walked into a pub about 11pm where a group of suits where having a birthday night out and stepped on someone's toe as I went to the bar to order a solo mulled wine. He smiled. I smiled.....

And we got married 3 years ago fsmile

Sometimes it really is when you're not looking.

Sending the faith onto you. It will happen. I promise. Keep popping your head round corners, and one day, you'll find him

fedup098 Sun 15-Nov-15 16:45:11

noisy that's lovely! smile smile smile

NoisyOyster Sun 15-Nov-15 16:46:57

And change your name to MyChinIsUp098 or similar op

You'll need a positive smile on you for when his eye catches yours flowers

lavendersun Sun 15-Nov-15 16:48:49

I don't know really. I am the most sensible person ever and was completely swept away. We met in a coffee shop shock, he offered me his chair, we went out for dinner that night.

We had so much in common we just got on really well, similar degrees, sporty, similar views on a lot of things. There was no hesitation on either part. We are still really good together.

wickedwaterwitch Sun 15-Nov-15 16:50:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Adamsapple Sun 15-Nov-15 16:59:59

I met my husband when I was 38, by my 40th we had bought a house, got married and expecting a baby.
We recently celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary ??
There is plenty of time for you, it will happen x

emwithme Sun 15-Nov-15 17:05:42

I was sharing a flat with my best friend and we were moving (from a beautifully furnished top floor conversion in a georgian townhouse to an unfurnished ground floor flat in a post-war terrace). We did the main house move I went into work for a couple of hours to get my arsehole of a boss out of the shit with a tender and then went to Ikea because we had one two seater sofa and two mattresses and that was it! Best mate was in Bargain Corner dismantling a media centre, and I went off to get a wardrobe rail (to go with the giant stack of boxes we had)

I saw this bloke with a lovely beard and a funny t-shirt (saying "I'm not a terrorist, I'm just bearded"). Best mate's dad would love that t-shirt (thought I), so I went up to this bloke and asked him where he got it. We talked for a few minutes, had a laugh about the fact that the rail I wanted was in aisle 42, and I went back to my mate in Bargain Corner. Was telling her why I'd taken so long, when the bloke came up and asked me for my number. I gave it him. He went away. Best mate was taking the piss out of me for pulling in Ikea, looking like shit (which I did). The bloke came back - he had a new phone and when trying to save my number had deleted it. He asked for it again. I gave it again.

He rang the next day, we went out for dinner (sushi - even though I have since learned he doesn't like fish!), and it went from there.

We got married three years to the day after meeting, just over three years ago.

TinklyLittleLaugh Sun 15-Nov-15 17:09:19

I'm always surprised that "smug marrieds" don't do more to introduce their single friends to suitable people: after all, presumably their nice husbands will have nice friends. DH and I are very keen matchmakers.

LuluJakey1 Sun 15-Nov-15 17:20:18

I met DH after two disasterous relationships each lasting almost 3 years. I was 29, fed up with men and myself and had decided I was having 6 months to myself to look after myself.
I met him just after the 6 months ended- a friend very vaguely knew him and we bumped into him. We just kept looking at each other in that hour and smiling. He emailed me and asked if I fancied a drink. That was that. Living together within 6 months- he moved up here from Leeds. Married 6 months after that. Married 6 years and have 11 month old DS. Love him to bits and vice versa (or so he says grin )

Cheesymonster Sun 15-Nov-15 17:25:44

I was married and divorced by the time I was 30. Met my now DH when I was 33, married at 35, had DD at 36.

fastdaytears Sun 15-Nov-15 17:30:50

These are such lovely stories I'm crying a bit. Still hope then! Thank you (though it wasn't my thread I'm just stealing the happy stories)

AmyLouKin Sun 15-Nov-15 17:36:11

Met EH at 18, married at 22, split at 26. Had a few relationships in the mean time then met current partner at 31. Now 36 and though we are not married we are expecting baby in February! Much more important than marriage, though we do plan to do it one day, when we have the money!
You will find someone OP.

Trills Sun 15-Nov-15 17:50:13

after all, presumably their nice husbands will have nice friends

You'd hope so!

vdbfamily Sun 15-Nov-15 18:02:44

I met DH when I was 33. He was my first proper boyfriend and I was his first girlfriend. We married within a year of meeting and I got back from honeymoon pregnant and then had 3 kids within 3.5 years. I was convinced I would be single forever and had accepted that. The advantage of being older is that you know more what you are looking for in a partner.

cashmerecardigans Sun 15-Nov-15 20:07:28

I met my DH when I was 31. We finally got married this year after 18 years and we couldn't be happier. I really wasn't looking for a relationship (nor was he) as we'd both just come out of relationships, but it just happened and neither of us could stop it. Best thing ever, so don't despair!

Lambzig Sun 15-Nov-15 20:37:29

I met DH at 32, married at 37. Sadly spent 10 years ttc before having my lovely DC at 42 and 45. I love being an older parent, and I think I made better relationship choices in my 30s. My goodness you are so young.

Shesinfashion Sun 15-Nov-15 20:40:39

Met my DP aged 34. Ten years together and two lovely daughters followed. You're a youngster. Plenty of time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now