Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Friend who has a habit of lying

(3 Posts)
dumdumdudum Thu 12-Nov-15 19:06:03

A friend of mine (A) told me recently that another friend (B) had had an interview for a promotion at work. I sent B a good luck text, mentioning that A had told me about it, to which B replied thank you.

Today I met B for coffee and casually asked about the interview. B said 'I don't know what you're talking about'. When I brought up the text she still said 'I don't know what you're talking about' and laughed uncomfortably. I don't think there's anyway A could have got things wrong, otherwise B would have raised it when I sent the text. B is quite private, and I understand if she didn't want me to know about the interview, or didn't want to talk about it, but this seemed to be a blatant lie (where we both knew she was lying) rather than a 'sorry i'd rather not discuss it'.

B has a history of lying, and she's told me about lies she's going to tell other people, but they are usually quite small and i just let it ride as it's not worth getting worked up about (examples of lies: I'll tell her i didn't see her, I didn't get your message until it was too late, no I'm haven't seen z recently). The lies are always in answers to questions and she seems to lie if it makes things easier for her. I wonder if the more i let it go, the more she thinks she can do it. I find it disrespectful. Can anyone give me an insight into what goes on in the head of a liar?

squidzin Thu 12-Nov-15 19:43:38

They don't sound like lies in the sense of fantasy made up stuff, more like omissions or not full disclosure.

She obviously has a default setting to deny/not say/avoid talking about things she finds uncomfortable.

People like this are devious, sneaky, generally hide things and are also very annoying!

She probably has 1-2 close friends to whom she discloses everything, and you are not one of them for whatever reason.

Keep her at arms length.

Jhm9rhs Thu 12-Nov-15 19:46:08

I think there's a possibility she has low self esteem - didn't get the job and is embarrassed, avoids social engagements due to anxiety?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now