Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Feeling Wobbly

(3 Posts)
Joy69 Sat 07-Nov-15 10:52:17

A few of you gave me some good advice a few months ago, & since then things have moved on. My stbxh has bought me out of our house for a mutually agreeable amount, which took alot of haggling ( on
my part)

I am in the process of buying myself a new house, but I'm wobbling massively. I feel so overwhelmed by the fact that I'm leaving my family home & having to start again. The house I'm buying needs things doing to it, but the only way I could afford to buy a 3 bed ( have 2 kids, boy/girl) in an area which is ok & near my support network was to do it this way.
I know I'm being daft, as loads of people do it, but scared. What would the kids think of the place ( no where near what they're used to decor etc) Will I afford to live etc etc.
Seem to swing between "Hurray" I'm escaping, I can be me again, to Omg this is massive can I cope.
That's it really. Just needed to get it all out ??

sheisme Sat 07-Nov-15 10:59:02

It sounds like a huge step to make and if you have your support network then i don't see any reason why it wont work for you. I think kids are more open to ideas/situations than we give them credit for. My kids will walk into messy houses and not even notice lol. Getting a new house and doing it up bit by bit will give you a great sense of pride.

pocketsaviour Sat 07-Nov-15 11:55:55

I agree that kids are more flexible than we sometimes think. Is it feasible to take them on a viewing to the house with you? Can you "sell" it to them as an opportunity for you all to make the home you want, paint their own bedrooms, etc?

It's natural to feel stressed about a house purchase, especially when you're on your own. It's one of the most stressful things life can bring, only just behind bereavement or divorce, I believe. I guess it touches on all our emotional hot buttons about where we belong and where our safe place is. So you are not daft to feel stressed or doubtful of your ability to cope, at times.

But you can be proud of what you've achieved already - you've got a good deal out of your ex, because you've put your needs and your DC's needs first, which is a good thing. You can do this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now