Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Purposal advise

(7 Posts)
lauraann137 Thu 05-Nov-15 21:51:13

So this Christmas I'm planning on asking my boyfriend of two+ years to marry me I've got the ring etc I just don't know how to do it, we've already spoke about this and it's what we both want it's just not official. I'm not much of a person to make a speech and I get shy and embarrassed so I thought I could write in a card what I want to say and how I feel ect but do I give it him while he is with me or shall I leave it somewhere where he will find it

Daisychain5 Thu 05-Nov-15 21:54:14

I think the word you're looking for is 'proposal'.

EssentialHummus Thu 05-Nov-15 21:55:10

Aaaaw smile.

There's no right way - a friend buried his ring in the garden for GF to find, another proposed in bed, my DP whipped a ring out of his bag at a restaurant before a screening of Macbeth confused.

Just do what suits you. Say / write something nice, and ask. I think you being there is probably nicer than him finding it alone.

Oysterbabe Thu 05-Nov-15 21:56:15

Don't write a card, you should ask him yourself. Doesn't need to be grand just sweet and heartfelt.

Fairenuff Thu 05-Nov-15 22:03:47

I honestly think that if you can't just talk to him and ask him if he wants to marry you, then you probably shouldn't be thinking of getting married.

goddessofsmallthings Thu 05-Nov-15 22:22:55

If marriage is what you "both want", why don't you wait until Feb 29 next year before proposing as it may be he's planning to pop the question to you over Christmas or on New Year's Eve?

Joysmum Thu 05-Nov-15 22:24:41

The most rmomantic thing you can do is to look deep into his eyes tell you love him so much and couldn't think of anything better than spending the rest of your life with him and do would he marry you.

Grand gestures can mean the sentiment gets lost as the pressure is on for all to go perfectly when that's not what's important.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now