Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I'm too timid & afraid to tell my boss to STOP touching me!! :(

(61 Posts)
savemethelastbrownie Tue 03-Nov-15 17:49:04

Hey...not sure how to start this.

I better not say too much as don't want to be recognised. Basically I am being touched at work and need ideas about what to say to get him to stop. I am no good at confrontation and can't lose this job til I get another one as my financial situation is dire. I've tried telling him I don't want to be touched but he doesn't take me seriously.

What are good things to say to stop unwanted attention?

When I say touching, I mean he'll start rubbing my back, he'll smack me on my bum, he tries to put his hands on my thighs, he tries to pull me down to sit on his lap. Stands really close behind me, is always trying to get me to hug him.

Thanks flowers

christinarossetti Tue 03-Nov-15 17:51:11

He's not 'touching' you so much as sexually harrassing you.

Do you have co-workers? A line manager? HR dept to report this absolutely unacceptable behaviour to?

Write down every incident that you remember (and that you've told him to stop) and take it to either your line manager or HR first thing tomorrow.

Almostfifty Tue 03-Nov-15 17:51:27

Stop being timid and say, 'Stop that now, or I'll report you for sexual harrassment.'

Then report him anyway. He'll the one that should lose his job, not you.

MinesAPintOfTea Tue 03-Nov-15 17:51:28

Is he the busiiness owner or a manager within a larger organization?

If the later I'd speak to the police, but that only works if there is a system above him.

WitchWay Tue 03-Nov-15 17:51:30

This is abusive & inappropriate as you already know sad. Is there a colleague who could support you? Could you approach his boss?

Have you tried just saying a firm "no"? Some men take silence as acquiescence angry

hesterton Tue 03-Nov-15 17:51:44

Wow. You really do need to get assertive with this total creep. Shout fuck off, will you? Or say loudly - you're touching me again when I said you mustn't. If it doesn't stop, I'll take it further.

He can't get away with this.

orlakielyimnot Tue 03-Nov-15 17:52:18

It's sexual harassment. Report it.

WitchWay Tue 03-Nov-15 17:53:07

I see you have already told him. He is an arse. Agree with recording all incidents. Try kneeing him in the balls & screaming I would

DoreenLethal Tue 03-Nov-15 17:54:24

What the fuck!

What is the set up - is he the main owner, in which case you need to go to the police. Otherwise HR.

savemethelastbrownie Tue 03-Nov-15 17:56:07

Thanks for advice, much appreciated. I'm too scared to say too much as don't want to be discovered but there is no HR, he is the business owner and there is no one higher, its a small company and I work in the office at the back. With him mostly.
I'm applying for jobs daily so fingers crossed I'll be out of here soon.

I've been abused when I was younger by a male friend of the family and an ex bf raped me, this triggers me ALL the time sad I think he senses I am vulnerable.

am going to try your suggestions, thanks so much.

anothernumberone Tue 03-Nov-15 17:56:57

Does your boss have a boss if so without question report it. If not you need to shout at him 'get your fucking hands off me, if you touch me again I will phone the police' or kick him in the balls. what an asshole he is.

WitchWay Tue 03-Nov-15 17:57:31

Wear sharp heels & "accidentally" step on his foot when he's too close behind you. Keep saying no - say it loudly enough for other people to hear. Keep the office door open if you have to go in to him - take a colleague with you if possible.

iklboo Tue 03-Nov-15 18:01:40

Keep telling him - loudly - to stop
Say VERY LOUDLY - 'why are you touching me? Stop it, I don't want you to touch me. Never touch me again'
Keep a diary of incidents
Contact ACAS
Report to police

Don't let fear of losing your job stop you from speaking out.

sugar21 Tue 03-Nov-15 18:04:23

Try to make sure you are as far away from the pig as possible and yes an accidently on purpose heel on the foot is good. He is harrassing you and needs reporting

kittybiscuits Tue 03-Nov-15 18:07:32

'Get off me you fucking pervert!'. Very sorry this is happening to you x

goddessofsmallthings Tue 03-Nov-15 18:08:12

He's doing it because he's a self-entitled perv who's sensed your vulnerability
and believes he can get away with it because you're unlikely to speak out.

Tell him that if he doesn't stop you'll report his sexual harassment to the police and take action for constructive dismissal as you can no longer tolerate his unwarranted and unwanted behaviour towards you.

Do you have a significant other, a well-built db, or a stocky male friend who can come to collect you from work so that he can see you're not as vulnerable as he believes and he might be heading for a spot of fisticuffs certain repercussions if he persists?

AnyoneButAndre Tue 03-Nov-15 18:09:02

Get a wedge for the door (actually I'd take a screwdriver to a hinge) and yes, I'm afraid you have to get very very loud and clear. Keep a diary and report to the police the instant you hand in your notice. Very best of luck.

Arfarfanarf Tue 03-Nov-15 18:10:01

I hope you get another job soon. you are being sexually harrassed, if not sexually assaulted.

It might be a ridiculous idea and I am sure my fellow mners will quickly say so if they feel it is, but would leaving your browser open at a page detailing constructive dismissal, acas, sexual harassment in the workplace etc be a way of getting across to him that you actually have power here and know your rights. and there are potentially consequences for him.

That might be really stupid, I don't know. I am just trying to think of anything that possibly could help you.

ImperialBlether Tue 03-Nov-15 18:17:20

If you leave, you should tell the police.

I would invest in something like this spy camera and I would report to the police when there's footage.

savemethelastbrownie Tue 03-Nov-15 18:17:31

These are great ideas and have given me more confidence to deal with this. Please don't think I am stupid or naive but I never thought of it as sexual assault as he is kind of an old friend from ten years ago or so, and is a nice guy in every other way. Guess there is no 'type' of person that can assault someone though is there. I just thought of him as being inappropriate but do you think the police would really take it seriously?

I have a DH yes, and he knows this and has met him a few times but doesn't seem bothered by him even though he is a tall guy and could be intimidating. I haven't told DH. As silly as it sounds, I feel ashamed sad

Good idea Arf about leaving a browser open, am going to try that tomorrow, and will start a diary.
Sorry if I havent replied directly to each reply, am half cooking dinner for the kids and don't want anyone to see what I'm writing, but every single reply is helpful thank you.

goddessofsmallthings Tue 03-Nov-15 18:21:44

You have nothing whatsoever to be ashamed of and I suggest you offload to your dh as I'm more than sure he won't want you working for this sleazy tosser for a moment longer than necessary.

However, that said, get as much evidence as you can - leave your phone on record and invest in a spy camera, they're cheap as chips on eBay.

ImperialBlether Tue 03-Nov-15 18:30:01

If you keep a diary, use Word and password protect it.

Check here for information on constructive dismissal. You might like to post on Legal for more advice about that, though.

I really think you need to talk to your husband about it. There's absolutely nothing for you to be ashamed of.

savemethelastbrownie Tue 03-Nov-15 18:39:47

I'll try to talk to him tonight but he will probably go mad and might even want to speak to the guy - ie have a big bust up with him.

Thanks for the link for the spy cam and also for constructive dismissal, will read up on that tonight.

Silly question, but WHY do you think he would do this? I've made it obvious I'm not interested over the years but he still persists, even though I visibly cringe when he touches me. What would he get out of it?

Artioo2 Tue 03-Nov-15 18:39:57

He believes he can get away with it because you're unlikely to speak out.

This is very likely, especially if he's a kind of old friend. He probably thinks that gives him some kind of special privileges. It's hard but you need to speak out. Don't prove him right

I would start by telling him again that you want his behaviour to stop. Practice beforehand - no smiling, no nervous friendliness, serious tone, eye contact, and clearly and slowly list the behaviour that you want to stop, as you did above. Give him no room to think you are not completely serious. This is about power, and you can take it back. Good luck, it's a horrible situation.

savemethelastbrownie Tue 03-Nov-15 18:46:44

Thanks Artioo yes I think you're right that he thinks he has special privileges - he seems jealous of DH too if I mention him. He also turns lots of things I say into some kind of innuendo even if I meant it innocently.

Will practice in the mirror maybe first, just worried he'll make it an awkward atmosphere after but can't be much worse than this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now