Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I cannot work out if he is straight or gay

(60 Posts)
bridie69 Tue 27-Oct-15 23:45:38

Anyone else experienced this? A man recently moved in to the local area and politely introduced himself to some of the neighbours. I see him around the place from time to time and he joined a choir I am part of. I really don't want to stereotype but he is quite a lot different to some of the local guys, always well dressed and groomed, seems totally at ease speaking to women and according to my friends Mum spent ages talking to an elderly lady locally about the flowers in her front garden. He lIves by himself and is 40ish. I used to always think it was obvious but not so much these days it seems.

Arfarfanarf Tue 27-Oct-15 23:47:14

Are you wondering because you're interested in him?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wolfiefan Tue 27-Oct-15 23:51:15

Why should it concern you? Unless you want to sleep with him!
confused

AnyFucker Tue 27-Oct-15 23:51:34

Why do you need to know ?

VodkaValiumLattePlease Tue 27-Oct-15 23:51:41

hmm

ShowOfBloodyStumps Tue 27-Oct-15 23:54:44

Could you look on his social media perhaps?

WHAT?

NO. Why does it matter?

StarTravels Tue 27-Oct-15 23:57:27

A man who washes and is kind to the elderly must be gay?

MardyBra Wed 28-Oct-15 00:00:13

"spent ages talking to an elderly lady locally about the flowers in her front garden."

Oh he must be then. Just to be sure, you need to check if he likes musicals, wears double denim, has a rainbow flag in the garden or has an extensive collection of Queen, Village People or Ethal Merman music. hmm

MardyBra Wed 28-Oct-15 00:02:05

Shit, I forgot Eurovision. You need to get Eurovision into the conversation. If he knows his Conchitas from his Johnny Logans, it's a dead cert.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bridie69 Wed 28-Oct-15 00:05:26

I don't need to know no.But I would like to know. I just would. I don't think he is on fb as he said he doesn't like it.There is a difference of opinion about it amongst those I talk to and yes I know it is none of our business. Just wondered if you'd ever encountered anyone you weren't sure about.

bridie69 Wed 28-Oct-15 00:07:28

And Mardybra I didn't think the sarcasm was necessary.

MardyBra Wed 28-Oct-15 00:09:24

My Dh is pretty good with soft furnishings and watches Strictly. I'm doomed, aren't I?

Seriously OP, if you're not romantically interested, why not just get to know the guy without having to pigeonhole him. Sorry if I've been a little facetious, but stereotypes aren't always great indicators, and the guy is entitled to his privacy until he wants to let you know. smile

Klaptout Wed 28-Oct-15 00:09:49

How odd, why do you need to know? Do you check the sexuality of everyone you vaguely know?

MardyBra Wed 28-Oct-15 00:10:54

X post due to slow typing. Apology withdrawn.

MardyBra Wed 28-Oct-15 00:11:26

Due to chippiness.

Seeyounearertime Wed 28-Oct-15 00:13:46

Noone tell OP I'm a Kylie Minogue fan who loves My Little Pony. I also know my dress size and how to walk in heels. wink
I remove my body hair with nair and magic powder, that's all body hair, back, crack, sack, chest, legs, feet, forearms and backs of hands.
My eyebrows are 'maintained' as is the nose hair and ear hair.
I also wear earrings, 1 in each ear shock

I've been thought gay, I understand why. I've always said that the only reason I'm not gay is that I've never met a man I've fancied. Lol.

MadeMan Wed 28-Oct-15 00:14:03

I don't think he sounds particularly gay from what you've written about him so far.

Seeyounearertime Wed 28-Oct-15 00:15:45

My point was that it's not always clear and you can only ever know someone's sexuality from whom theyre sexually attracted to.
forgot that bit, sorry. blush

bridie69 Wed 28-Oct-15 00:16:12

I know he is entitled to privacy as are we all. I was just curious about the way people are perceived and wouldn't dream of asking him about it it is his business after all.

BigChocFrenzy Wed 28-Oct-15 00:17:30

He just sounds a nice civilised bloke.

Seeyounearertime Wed 28-Oct-15 00:19:17

He just sounds a nice civilised bloke

Which, of mumsnet boards are to be believed, are a much rarer breed than gay men nowadays. Lol

Arfarfanarf Wed 28-Oct-15 00:19:29

In all honesty I have never spent my time wondering about the sex lives of people I encounter.
I am not being snippy but it isn't a case of meeting someone you're not 'sure about. ' it's someone else's sex life. It's not really something I find myself gossiping about.
I thought you must be interested in him because then I could see a need to care where a man likes to stick his todger.

Are you serious that this man's sexuality is being debated by loads of you? Not having a go or anything but don't you think that's weird?

Bloomsberry Wed 28-Oct-15 00:28:17

What's depressing about your op is the assumption that normative masculinity involves knuckle-dragging, dubious personal hygiene and knocking elderly women off the footpath. Or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now