Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Angry partner

(3 Posts)
Noisylittl3lion Sun 25-Oct-15 17:10:59

NC for this, and wasn't sure where to post. DP has some anger issues. It's never been directed at me or the children, it's only when he's driving. He's a good driver and gets horribly pissed off with other drivers. He's nearly come to blows with other drivers on a few occasions, and today completely humiliated me by getting involved in a stupid dispute. The other driver was the one in the wrong, but he shouldn't have risen to it in the way he did. I told him that if we'd not had the children there, I'd have walked away. Thankfully they saw nothing, I'm completely certain of this. He said later that he realised he had a problem and he'd like to not have it.

Any experiences of dealing with a partner like this? What can I do to help him help himself? I'm not ready to end the relationship over this, although I'm aware that red flags have been raised. And I'm not saying that naively, I genuinely believe he'd never be abusive to me or his children right now, and I'd like to do everything I can to get him over this problem before making any big decisions. I suggested counselling and he agreed that might help. Anything else?

Lacoba66 Sun 25-Oct-15 17:20:00

On a practical level, could you either suggest that he goes on an advanced driving course. I'm not suggesting that his driving is poor, but I have heard that these advance courses also offer the ability for people to 'control' themselves more. Or maybe a couple of track days, where he can vent his frustrations.

Failing that, anger management.

Seeyounearertime Sun 25-Oct-15 17:22:49

A quick Google reveals quite a few groups and or therapy options etc. www.driversdomainuk.com/driver-psychology/road-rage/
Well worth a Google about, maybe look in your area?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now