Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Bank account

(25 Posts)
Supermanspants Sun 25-Oct-15 17:03:44

Can anyone please help.... My husband and I have a joint account with HSBC. It was my account oringally and he was added. What do I have to do to get him removed from it?

Topseyt Sun 25-Oct-15 17:07:52

I looked into this once, and got the impression it was easier to just open a new account for myself. I move money into that every month and the joint account is just used for feeding the family.

Supermanspants Sun 25-Oct-15 17:27:09

Thanks for your reply. My husband and I are separating so need him off my account. I have told him to go and open a new one for himself. I just want to start the ball rolling of getting him out of my life.

Allgunsblazing Sun 25-Oct-15 17:30:00

Just call the bank and ask for the form you need. There is a specific form that you both sign, it is very straightforward.

Supermanspants Sun 25-Oct-15 17:36:22

Many thanks All

Topseyt Sun 25-Oct-15 18:08:40

If he will sign the form then that is your answer. If he doesn't want to then opening another account for yourself would be easier.

We were not separating. I just wanted an account of my own for my own spends, so a new one was the best solution.

Wishing you well.

Supermanspants Sun 25-Oct-15 18:14:13

Thank you Tops

Dungandbother Sun 25-Oct-15 18:17:59

I did this, very easy, they send a form. Think about your internet banking as you will need to amend passwords.

Gracey79 Sun 25-Oct-15 18:19:38

You can't be removed from a HSBC joint account you'll have to close it and re open a new one in your own name, they won't remove a party on a personal account due to cheque books and cards etc

Dungandbother Sun 25-Oct-15 18:26:37

Mine was Smile bank. No idea why HSBC would be different.

RedMapleLeaf Sun 25-Oct-15 18:30:20

As soon as they hear they hear this is to do with a relationship breakdown it's highly likely that they'll freeze your account.

Supermanspants Sun 25-Oct-15 18:41:53

I can't see why I would have to close my account. I've had it for over 20 years and he only went on it two years ago. That is going to be an absolute pain having to move/cancel/ set up again all my standing orders and direct debits because I'm married to an abusive wanker.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 25-Oct-15 18:46:14

They should be okay with removing him. They may ask if he is likely to try and empty the account or if it's an amicable split.

There's a form that they'll post to you or you can collect from a branch, sign, and return. All of your cards and cheque books will be reissued. You'll need to change your internet banking log-in details if you shared those with him.

If there's any chance that he might cause trouble or try to empty the account, it may be better to set up a new one. HSBC will help you to set it up and to automatically transfer your direct debits and standing orders, so you won't have to do anything.

RedMapleLeaf Sun 25-Oct-15 19:07:52

That is going to be an absolute pain having to move/cancel/ set up again all my standing orders and direct debits

If they have to set up a new account then the bank will do it for you and it should take seconds.

Supermanspants Sun 25-Oct-15 19:09:38

Well managed to speak to HSBC who still have call centre open tonight. Have to close my account and reopen a new one. Am so worried as have loads of direct debits etc plus salary payments to try and sort out into new account. I think I hate him just a little bit more because of all this hassle to get him off my account.

Joysmum Sun 25-Oct-15 19:15:56

Not a fan of joint accounts. DH and I have been together 22 years and we've never had one. We each have our own savings and current accounts. Only takes for one of us to become a cunt with the other and we could be in the shit with a joint account.

Supermanspants Sun 25-Oct-15 19:19:47

Yes, you are right Joy. Have an appointment in November to sort it all out. I get paid a week after so am hoping it is not going to cause issues as I have quite a few outgoing payments on same day I get paid so any non or late payments will hammer my credit rating. I do have a savings account but I guess he will want a cut of that because I was paying into it each month from our joint account. Am going to struggle on one salary that's for sure but have somehow managed before.

Topseyt Sun 25-Oct-15 20:50:24

I am not a huge fan of joint accounts either for the same reason as Joysmum.

We do have one from many years ago which I still use for grocery shopping, but I didn't want everything I do open to scrutiny. DH has his own personal account and now that I am back at work again I have mine. I will never let it go again. My old one got closed by my bank many years ago after I had ended up as an SAHM, because it ended up with nothing going through it.

I won't make that mistake again. You live and learn.

Thissameearth Sun 25-Oct-15 21:37:07

I have my personal account which my dairy is paid into and my phone DD come out of and my own personal savings and ISA and my partner has the same. but we have a joint pay-in account. No overdraft etc just we transfer equal amount each month and all shared DD come off it: mortgage, council tax, gas and electricity plus use it to pay for shopping, petrol, meals out etc so we know everything's fair. best of both worlds!

Thissameearth Sun 25-Oct-15 21:37:49

Sorry not helpful to you OP I know

Thissameearth Sun 25-Oct-15 21:38:13

Dairy? That's salary

Dungandbother Sun 25-Oct-15 22:44:54

I'm sorry HSBC are being so difficult.

My bank knew it was a divorce and happily removed the shit from my shoe.

It's s minor hiccup but sorry you have to trek through it.

43percentburnt Mon 26-Oct-15 08:34:55

It will be quicker to change bank, plus some give you money to switch. As long as you want to take you standing orders and direct debits with you the new bank sorts everything for you. 7 day switching came in in 2013, so by the time you see hsbc you will be switched if you do it on line today.

See money saving expert to choose your bank! HSBC offer very few benefits to staying.

Allgunsblazing Mon 26-Oct-15 08:41:47

You can't switch a joint account to a single account, not with my bank anyway.

category12 Mon 26-Oct-15 08:48:41

If he's co-operative, you can get it signed back as sole, but you have to be in credit.

If not, just open a new sole account, move all your direct debits and payments in and freeze the joint account. Cos if you have an overdraft facility there's nothing you can do to stop him using it if you don't freeze the account. You'll have to go in to the branch to freeze it.

It didn't take me that long to move all my direct debits out. Well worth the effort anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now