Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Maintenance q

(2 Posts)
VicWillia Sat 24-Oct-15 14:19:08

This is probably a bit unusual, because I am the one paying maintenance.

Exh and I split 2 years ago when our ds was 3. Exh refused to leave our shared flat so I had to. I had no where to go so I ended up in my dads spare room. It wasn't a nice house or nice area, no place for ds, so I just saw him in the day and he stayed overnights with exh. We went to court and exh got residency due to me not having a suitable environment for ds to sleep.

I met someone else and we rented a one bedroom flat together. I wanted to rent a 2 bed but the rental prices are ridiculous here (south east) and we couldn't afford it.

Once I got the flat though I started having ds overnight twice a week.

We are soon moving again, this time to a place out of town so cheaper. It has 2 bedrooms. I want to increase overnights with ds to 3/4 a week but ex h won't hear of it so it looks like I have a fight in court on my hands.

Onto maintenance. I have paid ex h the csa recommended amount for 1 child with no overnights since we split. I would have given more but I just can't afford it. Money is tight and ex h earns a lot more than me.

If I win in court I will be having ds between 12 and 14 nights a month. I want to dramatically decrease maintenance if that happens as its surely 50/50 then? Exh threatens to stop me seeing ds if I stop paying him.

Any advice on where I stand would be great

RandomMess Sat 24-Oct-15 14:28:22

I would focus on increasing contact, why it would be best for ds. Alternate weekends and every Wed night for example - so DS gets to spend quality time with you as his parent.

Worry about the money afterwards as they are separate things. You will be able to reduce it accordingly - after all what can your ex do? Threaten you with the CMS who will recalculate accordingly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now