Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Why don't more people show affection in public

(23 Posts)
bridie69 Fri 23-Oct-15 16:48:20

The world is messed up. War everywhere mistrust everywhere. I found it so powerful seeing a young couple embracing like their lives depended on it in London recently. So why don't more people kiss or show affection in public? I would much rather see a snog than a fight myself...

RiverTam Fri 23-Oct-15 16:52:15

Public displays of affection? In Britain??? What a notion wink.

You're right, though, t'would be lovely.

suitsyousir79 Fri 23-Oct-15 16:55:35

Because when I go for a public display of affection my DP usually goes to give me a thick ear! grin

RoisinIwanttofightyourfather Fri 23-Oct-15 17:01:22

It frightens the horses.

sykadelic Fri 23-Oct-15 19:13:48

Because you don't need to snog to show affection?

I see affection as people holding hands and simply smiling at each other, or talking happily. It doesn't need to be graphic.

wonderingsoul Fri 23-Oct-15 20:19:17

It doesn't have to be snogging.

Just holding hands (which I love)
Smiling at some one.
I love seeing a couple who are so in grossed with conversation with each that you can feel their love for each other just by how they look at each other.

redredblue Fri 23-Oct-15 20:32:36

I'm glad
Because it's disgusting
I always get sat near couples snogging on the train/bus.
Happened on Tuesday, I couldn't see them but I could hear the slurping. Eurghhhhh

TokenGinger Fri 23-Oct-15 20:40:16

The way my DP embraces me, people wouldn't want to see in public. He's very passionate and it's beautiful. But it would be a bit too much for it to be seen in public. In public, he's a gentleman. He will hold my hand in a protective manner if we're in a notorious area (we live to some risky places). Otherwise, he'll hold his arm out for me to link, he'll kiss me on my forehead as opposed to the lips. I quite like it that way. It's affectionate in a more diplomatic way.

I don't really want to see people close to sex.

Fratelli Fri 23-Oct-15 20:43:00

I'd rather hold hands in public than make everyone feel uncomfortable by forcing them to watch us kiss!

MadeMan Sat 24-Oct-15 01:05:29

But people complain though when they see others 'at it' in public; "Get a room!" they shout.

FoxInTheDesert Sat 24-Oct-15 07:19:16

I also don't get the need for showing the world you fancy each other. Yes, a loving look or holding hands is really lovely to see, but kissing, groping etc. is gross and people need to limit those activities to private places.

Jw35 Sat 24-Oct-15 07:28:22

Hand holding, a peck on the lips and hugging are fine but personally I think snogging is too much in public.

elQuintoConyo Sat 24-Oct-15 07:28:56

DH and I are early 40s no one wants to witness us tonguing!

We hold hands, gaze longingly and giggle, that's enough for Joe and Josephine Public.

We have nothing to prove, and I find that PDAs are something you do when you're young. DH and I met in our early 20s in Italy, did lots of rude things in dusty corners of parks - even the flowers blushed gringrin

Mehitabel6 Sat 24-Oct-15 07:33:07

I am very thankful that they don't!
Holding hands, a quick kiss or loving looks are fine but anything more should be private- we as the public do not want to see it.

bridie69 Sat 24-Oct-15 07:35:22

Well I didn't mean only snogging of course not but what about the famous picture of the couple kissing in Paris? And loving looks are just the best whether they are 18 or 80.

FoxInTheDesert Sat 24-Oct-15 10:04:17

I think affection is something private and I don't see the need to share that with others. My happiness and love for my spouse (which I don't have by the but just generally speaking) is really nobody's business. Do we have to prove to others that our relationships are good? What is the purpose really?

HumboldtFog Sat 24-Oct-15 10:39:01

I think affection is something private and I don't see the need to share that with others.

This.
We do hold hands sometimes and we hug goodbye in public too (airports etc) but tongues down each other's throats is something we don't inflict on the general public.
And I'll be less inclined to do anything like that now that I know there are actually people out there who're going to make a point of watching us. Ugh.

I saw an old man holding tightly onto an old womans hand as he walked across the road checking for traffic, they just looked so 'together' I felt quite weepy, twas a lovely sight when often i see people shouting at their kids, scowling a lot or face down in a mobile ignoring each other. Yes PDA's are lovely (not full on snogging)and I love seeing a couple that look truly happy to be together.

Whereyourtreasureis Tue 27-Oct-15 12:43:41

What elQuinto said grin

When we were a lot younger, there were many moments in many inappropriate places. Nowadays we keep our private lives to ourselves, nobody wants to see that! We were put off PDAs forever at the last festival we went to- when some pissed up pervert tried to film us in our feckin tent shock angry

Generally between DH and me now, it's holding hands, and a kiss goodbye if one of us is going somewhere and I squeeze his bum when no-one's looking

weegiemum Tue 27-Oct-15 12:49:19

I need to hold my husband's hand when walking in public - if I didn't he'd be pushing my wheelchair. Holding my hand expresses his love in a way others, but mainly me! appreciate.

And sometimes we snog in public, and when I'm being wheeled it's especially good, as I'm not worthless for having a disability! I'm disables AND desireable and that's worth a lot in my world!

Janeymoo50 Tue 27-Oct-15 14:42:02

I love seeing people holding hands, young and old. Also, love seeing a mum and daughter linking arms, it's so lovely. I don't do kissing in public though.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 27-Oct-15 14:56:53

I still hold my moms hand / arm when we are out. My teenage DDs still hold my hand too sometimes. Love it

LovesPeace Tue 27-Oct-15 19:49:21

Oh. My. God.

Public Dispays of Affection. In Britain. shock

Mumsnet - ban the OP immediately.

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now