Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Anger management - course / practitioner recommendations

(15 Posts)
nappyrat Tue 20-Oct-15 13:42:42

Hi, I wondered if anyone can recommend a course / practitioner to deal with anger issues for a male friend.

He is (sadly) very dismissive of this sort of thing (counselling, therapy etc), is a successful, professional middle aged man. I am keen to recommend someone really top notch who is well suited to, and used to, this type of client - cost not really an issue.

many thanks x

TeaStory Tue 20-Oct-15 14:41:52

Whereabouts are you? Martin Hogg at Citizen Coaching in Birmingham is very good.

He also trains other therapists who work in various places: www.citizencoaching.com/anger-management-birmingham/

nappyrat Tue 20-Oct-15 20:43:27

thanks....looking for something more counselling-based as opposed to a one-off group workshop, but thanks Tea.

Bump

Isetan Wed 21-Oct-15 07:56:01

I'm sure you mean well but engaging in changing ones behaviour is hard bloody work and either you're over invested in this guy getting help, or he isn't really committed because the hard work starts way before he's handed a recommendation.

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 21-Oct-15 08:04:19

Surely he should be doing his own research?

Alfieisnoisy Wed 21-Oct-15 08:22:26

For it to be successful he needs to have some insight to his behaviour and recognise he needs to change. He has to WANT to change too or any money spent will be wasted.

TeaStory Wed 21-Oct-15 08:26:54

They offer counselling as well, nappy.

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 21-Oct-15 08:47:52

Who is he angry at; the world in general or just you?.

Why are you so interested in trying to find him some counselling if he is so dismissive of the idea anyway?. It makes me think that you are yourself over invested in this now and should completely withdraw as a result.

You cannot act as a rescuer or saviour in any relationship.

RiceCrispieTreats Wed 21-Oct-15 09:34:39

If he's dismissive of the idea, then he ain't going to counselling, no matter what addresses you serve up to him on a silver platter.

IF people want to change, they do. You can't do it for them.

The day he does sign up to counselling or whatever, you can tell him you're proud of him. But since you're not him, the only thing you can do is encourage him from the sidelines. Looking up counsellors is more than encouraging: it's spoon-feeding, and he's not a baby.

RiceCrispieTreats Wed 21-Oct-15 09:47:10

You can't rescue another human being, OP.

www.bodymindspiritonline.com/bodymindspirit/edition8/19_article_puri.htm

www.psychologytoday.com/blog/traversing-the-inner-terrain/201105/rescuing-the-rescuer

NorwegianSkies Wed 21-Oct-15 09:54:12

His first port of call is his GP. The NHS is a huge resource and though he may go on a waiting list he will have some very effective help, providing he is open to it.

nappyrat Thu 05-Nov-15 23:02:41

thank you all x

AnyFucker Thu 05-Nov-15 23:04:44

if he is not receptive, you are wasting your time, energy and head space

it's not your "friend" is it ?

Hissy Fri 06-Nov-15 07:19:52

Who is he to you?

Let him sort out his own abusive nature (hint: he won't ever change or even want to)

Seriously, you have NO idea of the danger of this situation. i know you mean well, but you're out of your depth, anyone would be.

Has he hit or threatened you?

RunRabbitRunRabbit Fri 06-Nov-15 17:12:25

Does he not know how to use Google?

If he is interested in changing, he can easily find his own therapist.

If he is not interested in changing, you can't help him.

LTB

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now