Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Dh has been secretly recording me help

(443 Posts)
Daisycloud66 Tue 06-Oct-15 14:26:58

Shit, total shock here.
I've just been onto a hard drive my DH bought a while ago for us to share as last pc crashed and I lost all my spreadsheets I use for tax return,

I created a new folder for each of us and dragged all his stuff into his folder. He had loads of MP3 files and assumed it was music so I've opened one up to play as if it is current music I was going to delete it as its on iTunes. But the MP3 recordings weren't music they were recordings of me. The first one I opened was of Big Bang theory from last night and had me talking to my dog. The next one was the tv I was watching again last night.
WTF is he playing at, I just don't understand it. 22 mp3 recordings lasting about 5 mins each.

How is he doing this? Can anyone tell me if its the ps4 that's recording me?

He's gone to work so I can't have this out until late tonight.

pocketsaviour Tue 06-Oct-15 14:36:42

Are all the recordings from last night? Can you tell where in the room it was taken from?

DoreenLethal Tue 06-Oct-15 14:38:36

Where was he when this was going on?

moopymoodle Tue 06-Oct-15 14:39:33

Omg! I bet he's paranoid so he's recording you. Total violation of your privacy and a disintegration of mental health on his part.

Is it a video recording? Cant you check from the angle as to where the camera is?

These days you can buy items witj hidden cameras, pens and alsorts super cheap. A family member of mine did it when we suspected neglect and abuse of a relative in hospital care

Shakey15000 Tue 06-Oct-15 14:44:09

I'm in NO way hot on technology so am probably waaayyy off the mark, but I was watching something today about old phones being used for surveillance, with the idea of recording burglars and the like. I think it was motion activated. Could it be something like this perhaps? Just to play devil's advocate and not assume paranoia, wrongdoing etc.

TheoriginalLEM Tue 06-Oct-15 14:44:27

Thats weird, i assumed he filmed you in the bath or some sort of sexual thing.

Is he very geeky? could he just be trying out some tech he has made?

I guess its all in his reaction, but i wouldnt necessarily assume and sinister motive just yet.

Notasinglefuckwasgiven Tue 06-Oct-15 14:47:11

I'm sure this has happened to folk through playstation and xbox. Can't remember where I heard that. TV but not sure what. Few folk who'd accidentally broadcast themselves having tea, scratching their arse etc through them....

Katedotness1963 Tue 06-Oct-15 14:47:36

He was probably just trying something out. Maybe to add effects. I wouldn't be worried about it without asking.

Wait. Recording you or recording the TV in the room you're in?

Catzpyjamas Tue 06-Oct-15 14:52:30

Unless there's a back story to this, I would guess he was just playing about with a pc program. If it was my DH, I'd text him and say "so is there a reason for the 22 recordings of random stuff you made last night?"
However, my DH is not tech savvy and would probably have no idea he'd even done it.

Daisycloud66 Tue 06-Oct-15 14:55:36

Not video recording no, just sound. I'm not sure have not listened to all of them as I've had to do some work. Will collect the dc then put headphones in and listen to them.

And no not very tecky at all. I know the ps4 was not on last night as its very obvious when it is as the fan is loud as its in a unit but can see the blue light if it's on. And if it was from the ps4 how would it get on the pc hard drive. I've only been out the house for half hour today

Shakey15000 Tue 06-Oct-15 14:57:36

Well eitherway, I assume you'll ask him later? Hope it's tech mucking around etc.

Frequency Tue 06-Oct-15 15:00:22

I have no idea about PS4 because we use X-box One, but seeing as they constantly compete with each other I would assume that they have similar, if not identical features.

We can record audio and video from our X-box One/Kinnect. This can stream to the Windows PC, similarly we can stream media from the PC to the X-box. and we can send screen shots and recordings from the X-box to the PC HDD.

We've never accidentally filmed each other, but I can see how it could be done, I would say it would have been more likely that you've accidentally recorded yourself by sitting on the controller going on the time span of the recordings.

MajesticWhine Tue 06-Oct-15 15:01:48

That's weird, but may be nothing to worry about. Was he in the room with you at the time?

pocketsaviour Tue 06-Oct-15 15:03:12

And if it was from the ps4 how would it get on the pc hard drive

If it's connected via WiFi then quite easily if he's set files to sync. But it would have to be on to make a recording.

I would think it's more likely that he's accidentally hit sound recorder on his phone, perhaps trying to test something out. And he has his phone set to sync to iTunes (if it's an iPhone then I think this feature is on by default.)

Unless there's something happening in the background, like him accusing you of cheating or something?? Even so I don't see why he would randomly record you watching TV!

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Tue 06-Oct-15 15:03:27

I believe that some smart tvs can voice record.

PrivatePike Tue 06-Oct-15 15:09:33

Just ask him later confused

squeaver Tue 06-Oct-15 15:25:46

Speaking as someone who managed to send a group text at the weekend which was an audio of dh and I "discussing" how much longer he was going to be watching the football and if the poor dog was ever going to get a walk, I wouldn't rule out technical incompetence.

Daisycloud66 Tue 06-Oct-15 16:02:27

We do have a smart tv so maybe that could be possible. It's quite new but it was very cheap so not sure about that.
Ps4 was off, I know when it's on as it makes such a loud fan noise. And I had dusted it yesterday so would of noticed. Had a little listen to a few more and it seems whatever has recorded snippits of my day. Me typing, and on the phone ECT.
DH was out at work yesterday afternoon until very late evening.

I am really baffled by this

Phoenix0x0 Tue 06-Oct-15 16:04:22

Is he paranoid at all? Does he not believe what you say you have done? Is he trying to keep tabs on you?

BabyGanoush Tue 06-Oct-15 16:08:30

sounds accidental

just ask him

PotteringAlong Tue 06-Oct-15 16:17:46

I managed to record about 5 mins of our life because my phone was in my pocket, i had just checked something so it wasn't locked and I sat on it. I don't think hitting the wrong button is that hard. My phone is synced to my iPad - until I've read this thread it never crossed my mind that the recording might be on there too.

HaloEveSteve Tue 06-Oct-15 16:55:46

Unless there's a back story of him being jealous/paranoid/checking up on you/ accusing you of being with someone else, I'd assume this was just a mistake.

shovetheholly Tue 06-Oct-15 17:00:41

Hold your horses!

Before you jump to conclusions - some people collect sounds! Very ordinary sounds, like bells, or a voice. They are actually surprisingly evocative, because it is incredible how much the 'sound scape' of our lives changes over time. (Remember the sound of a dial up modem?). If you google 'collecting sounds', you'll find all kinds of wondrous nerdery!

Since these are really, really ordinary situations (e.g. talking to a dog), I wonder if he's collecting them. Like an audio version of a photo snapped of you? I'm not sure it indicates surveillance or paranoia. Not necessarily anyway.

Daisycloud66 Tue 06-Oct-15 17:13:26

Have listened to them all not in great detail but have skimmed through as my life is so dull I don't want to re live it twice.
The thing that gets me is it has recorded me loading the tumble dryer in the garage and the garage is obviously not near the TV and when I was typing in a few of them it was obvious I was typing and the office is away from the TV also it was really really clear and I don't bash away at the keyboard.

Frequency Tue 06-Oct-15 17:16:44

Are you sure you are not accidentally recording yourself via an iphone/MP3 player/phone and syncing to your PC?

If DH was not in the house, I'm not sure how this could be him, unless you believe he has bugged every room in the house?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now