Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.


(9 Posts)
Csunny2 Wed 23-Sep-15 06:52:08

Does anyone have any experience of injunctions (against their h)? He keeps sending abusive texts. What does it involve, how long is it for and how much does it cost roughly? Anything else I need to know?

We don't live in the same house (moved out months ago) although have children together.

Csunny2 Wed 23-Sep-15 06:54:57

Sorry should say I moved out due to his abuse months ago.

Oysterbabe Wed 23-Sep-15 07:08:51

Can you block him or change your number?

Joysmum Wed 23-Sep-15 07:47:41

Daft question alert...

Have you made a complaint to the police about his behaviour so far?

Csunny2 Wed 23-Sep-15 10:47:06

My lawyer has written to him stating any more abuse and it's an injunction - I really wanted to know what it involves. Sorry I question everything due to him playing with my mind for years.

Joysmum Wed 23-Sep-15 11:33:14

I hope you get some answers.

I hope you're logging everything with the police. I suspect you'll need ongoing evidence to show there's an issue and he's be warned before the injunction could be granted.

I'm just musing though and hoping this bumps up so somebody with personal experience can help you flowers

goddessofsmallthings Wed 23-Sep-15 13:30:30

Has your solicitor advised as to whether you should apply for a non-molestation order under Part IV of the Family Law Act 1996 which are granted by the civil (county) or criminal courts, or a restraining order under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 which are granted by the criminal (Magistrates') courts? A restraining order may be more effective as it carries stronger penalties than an injunction made under civil law.

Do you intend to make application yourself or do you intend to instruct your solicitor to act for you in this matter? Are you receiving or are you eligible for public/community legal services funding (previously called legal aid)?

In either case, where there is immediate danger you/your solicitor can make an ex parte (without notice) application and, providing the court is satisfied that there is risk of signficant harm, an injunction will be granted immediately pending a full hearing of the case after the alleged abuser/harasser has been served with notice of the proceedings and you will need to return to court on the appointed day.

Injunctions of this nature are usually granted for 6 or 12 month periods after which it will be necessary to apply again if the risk persists.

Applications for injunctions under the Family Law Act are heard in closed courts (in chambers) and only those who are directly concerned with your case such as your solicitor or legal representive will be allowed in with you. Any friends or other supporters who accompany you to the court will be required to stay in the waiting room.

Have you reported your ex's harassment of you to the police?

LineyReborn Wed 23-Sep-15 13:36:41

I did it the cheap and easy way. And it was bloody effective.

I complaind to the Police about harassment - they listened - he got a harassment warning.

hereandtherex Wed 23-Sep-15 14:24:33

Yep. Ring Police - 101.
They'll send someone round.
Step it up if that does not work - normally it does.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now