Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Would you be worried. DH drunk, emotional and deleting messages

(185 Posts)
PenelopeChipShop Sat 05-Sep-15 14:40:39

I'll try to be brief. We're in a bad patch at the moment - we both know it and have acknowledged this and are in theory trying to make more effort to prioritise each other. Haven't had counselling or anything official but have had a few serious talks together and aired our views.

Last night DH went for drinks after work and came back very drunk at 1.30, waking me up. He lay in bed crying and wouldn't tell me what was wrong, saying he was 'just drunk'. He was then sick, came back and carried on sobbing. I eventually hugged him and told him to just try to go to sleep as he was pissed out of his head and couldn't think straight. What with him disturbing me and our 3yo's usual wake ups, I've had a fairly shitty sleep. I got up with DS at 6.30, DH eventually emerged about half 9. No apology over last night or thanks for the lie in but that's fairly standard!!

I am troubled that his WhatsApp showed that he last looked at messages from a particular colleague at 8.45 this morning - while he was laying in bed - but the whole thread was deleted. She is in new work so wouldn't have been out with ten but I suspect was messaging him while he was drunk, about goodness knows what.

This isn't a good sign is it? I have suspicions about white what is going on between them but I don't know what it is. I suspect at the very least he is 'close' friends with her and complains about me/our problems to her.

Would you say anything or does the fact that I've snooped mean I can't say anything? I actually looked right in front of him, DS had been playing with an app on the phone and I just clicked on it before handing it back and noticed all the messages were gone. sad

PenelopeChipShop Sat 05-Sep-15 14:42:05

That should have said the colleague is based in New York - so wouldn't have been out with them last night.

ImperialBlether Sat 05-Sep-15 16:26:11

I'd be very concerned, tbh. Do you know for definite she's in NY at the moment?

I think you need to have a conversation with him; whether he'll take part in that is another thing altogether.

flowers

Iggly Sat 05-Sep-15 16:29:59

Has he seen her in person before?

What have been the root of your suspicions?

PenelopeChipShop Sat 05-Sep-15 19:14:45

Good point, I would have no idea if she was here. She could have been.

Yes they worked together in the London office for ages then she fairly recently moved there. He has also recently got a long term visa for NY, supposedly for work reasons, but I'm now wondering.

This afternoon I've found an old message on the iPad, I think from him to her, saying 'promise me we'll make the most of the time I'm there' dated just before he last went out there. This isn't good is it?

hesterton Sat 05-Sep-15 19:22:12

No. Not good at all.

How do you think you want to deal with this? Can we help you at all?

thehypocritesoaf Sat 05-Sep-15 19:24:39

Oh dear. This sounds bad...

StealthPolarBear Sat 05-Sep-15 19:25:02

Oh shit. No it's not good.

BrendaandEddie Sat 05-Sep-15 19:25:40

Oh you pot old sod. Think those were guilty tears. Or fearful

BrendaandEddie Sat 05-Sep-15 19:43:18

Poor.

Theresaflyinmyhouse Sat 05-Sep-15 20:59:45

Oh dear. Can you talk to him? I'm so sorry, it really doesn't sound good at all.

BitOutOfPractice Sat 05-Sep-15 21:16:40

Oh heck. I'd be worried too. How is he now?

Hissy Sat 05-Sep-15 21:21:03

Get someone to have your dc while you have it out with him.

The tears indicate that much WAS made of their time in NYC. The visa thing is worrying and he needs to explain himself or FTFO

And if he's been up to anything, he needs to FTFO some more.

Twolefttoes Sat 05-Sep-15 21:26:29

Can you ask him about last night and why he was so upset? Lead the conversation to saying you saw the what's app messages and see what he says then.

SlightlyJaded Sat 05-Sep-15 21:38:47

Looks bad, I agree. Sorry.

I think confront with everything:

Suspicions /gut feeling
IPad message (including timing of said message)
Behaviour last night
Deleted messages this morning
Visa

Based on teats - I have a feeling it will all come tumbling out. I hope I am wrong

SlightlyJaded Sat 05-Sep-15 21:39:54

Tears not teats!

Donthate Sat 05-Sep-15 21:44:48

Ask him if he's in love with her. His reaction will tell you.

EamonnHolmesisaPratt2 Sat 05-Sep-15 21:47:41

What do you mean he got a long term visa for New York? You just get an ESTA - everyone has to get one of those if they go to the US...does he have a British passport?

DragonsCanHop Sat 05-Sep-15 21:51:27

Tell him what he did last night and then ask him to explain the whats app messages. Then stay silent and watch him.

Scarydinosaurs Sat 05-Sep-15 21:55:16

I think you know deep down that it isn't right.

I would get the kids out the house and confront him.

backtowork2015 Sat 05-Sep-15 22:10:41

There is no innocent explanation for this. Hope she's there for good and he doesn't ever see her again. maybe you can both rescue this if thats what you both want

shoopshoopsong Sat 05-Sep-15 22:17:20

you don't even need to mention the whatsapp messages at first just press him about what happened that evening to make him be in tears. keep asking because it's not stable behaviour.

jclm Sat 05-Sep-15 22:21:27

Well if she has gone to NYfor good then it is the end of the affair (if they have been having one), I wonder if his tears were anything to do with this

YouBastardSockBalls Sat 05-Sep-15 22:43:41

I would just tell him that you found the messages and he needs to confess everything. Make him think you know more than you do.

flowers for you.

lighteningirl Sun 06-Sep-15 06:50:06

Tread careful take a deep breath and decide before you do anything what you want the outcome to be. Do you want to save your marriage, keep your family together? Or is this a deal breaker would you rather walk away get rid of someone who has betrayed you and start a new life? Only you know which path works best for you and how you handle this now will affect the outcome.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now