Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Narcissistic mother has terminal cancer

(10 Posts)
Wryip11 Wed 26-Aug-15 21:28:47

and actually my first feeling when I heard (apart from not being sure I believed it) was relief. Am I a horrible person?

NoMilkNoSugar Wed 26-Aug-15 21:34:45

No you're not. Sorry I don't really have much advice for you, but flowers

FadedRed Wed 26-Aug-15 21:39:16

Sound a fairly human response to me. flowers

LumelaMme Wed 26-Aug-15 21:48:48

No. When my narc father died - though I didn't know the term at the time - I just felt overwhelming relief that he would no longer be able to turn up and try to ruin my life.

It's really sad when a family relationship has come to such a pass, and it's bloody tough to have that sort of a parent. flowers

Wando Wed 26-Aug-15 21:52:33

It's normal. She gave you nothing by the sound of it - just took.

Chocolou Wed 26-Aug-15 22:46:01

Like lumela I'd not heard of the term either.
3 years ago my mother called to say she was terminally ill and had 12 months to live. I really didn't know what to say to her. I couldn't even tell her I loved her. I made the decision not to travel to see her (she lives 400 miles away) and it was the best decision of my life. The relief I had knowing she was dead was unbelievable. It was only then I realised how shit she had made me feel growing up.

I totally sympathise with you op. Pm me if you want to chat.

Smilingforth Thu 27-Aug-15 06:49:38

It's good to see you are not alone. There are a lot more cases out just like you and what you are feeling is normal.

Imbroglio Thu 27-Aug-15 09:52:54

Have you got some support? This will be difficult time for you.

Wando Thu 27-Aug-15 10:56:43

If you don't have any please keep posting - you will get great support here but that is much better combined with someone real on the ground.

Wryip11 Fri 28-Aug-15 01:20:58

Thanks all. Felt really weird as only a few months ago I realised what she is. My dd says she feels nothing too which is good for her - we lost my MIL earlier this year who she was really close too. Need to look after myself cake

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now