Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Positive stories of dating after herpes (hsv2) diagnosis

(3 Posts)
Tinygem Sat 22-Aug-15 19:39:45

First time poster, plucked up courage to post after lurking for a while.Just wondering if anyone else has found themselves in a similar situation. Seperated from exH 2 years ago, divorced last year after a 25 year relationship, he had an affair, probably more than one. Had a brief relationship not long after but decided I wasn't ready for anything serious at that point. Went for sti testing towards the end of last year as had some very minor symptoms, almost didn't go. Results came back showing I had hsv2, apparently not a primary outbreak. Have had no classic herpes symptoms but I'm aware that once you have the infection it's for life and could be passed on. I have no idea how long I've had it for, could have been many years. Have just stepped into the world of dating again and met a lovely man but I'm very aware that I have to tell him. Feeling very sad and paranoid but yet know I'm relatively lucky to be symptom free. Any words of advice appreciated.

CarnivalBearSetFree Sat 22-Aug-15 20:29:23

I don't have HSV2 but I have had HSV1 since I was a child. I think it's HSV1 anyway, I've never been tested.

If you haven't had an outbreak yet you don't know whether it's oral or genital. I think I read somewhere that 1/3 people have the herpes virus, and although HSV2 is usually genital it is possible to get it orally. Some lucky people have the virus and never have an outbreak.

Either way, you can get medication to help when/if you do get outbreaks. I think saying you have herpes sounds like a big deal but it's not if you manage it and are careful.

Don't be too embarrassed or worried, it's really not a big deal, quite a few people out there are in the same boat! Good luck

Smilingforth Sun 23-Aug-15 09:21:55

I agree don't worry too much. There are a lot more people with this than you will think

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now