Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Available men pursuing me, I only want Mr Unavailable

(5 Posts)
Mousemaze Tue 18-Aug-15 17:22:31

What's wrong with me?
I separated from my dh a year ago. Since then a few single men I know have become interested in me and have been quite clear about that. I'm just not interested, only in a guy I know who isn't available. I don't know if this is just to do with who the men are or if it's something to do with issues I have.

FenellaFellorick Tue 18-Aug-15 17:26:01

Maybe it's safety? You aren't taking a risk and putting yourself out there because you know he's attached and you aren't the sort of person who would want to go after someone who had a partner?

I think it's quite common. I have read it several times. Being attracted to someone who you know is never going to be available to you is a way of protecting yourself.

I'm not explaining it very well but it honestly is a thing.

StanSmithsChin Tue 18-Aug-15 17:27:57

An unavailable man is a)more exciting b)no big scary commitment thing c) something you should never indulge in.

Widen your social circle OP to include more single men and always always follow point C smile

pocketsaviour Tue 18-Aug-15 17:31:29

As Fenella said, maybe you're safely fantasising about a guy you know you can't have because you know you're not ready to get back in the dating pool yet?

It's only been a year. I needed two years after splitting with my H to even think about dating again. My last fella split 2.5yrs ago and I'm still nowhere near ready to give it a go.

Cabrinha Tue 18-Aug-15 17:52:41

Could simply be over thinking it. It's only been a year. Most men who come onto you won't interest you - that's just how it works. If 40 single men and 10 attached men had approached you and you fancied all the 10 and none of the 40 - issue!
As it is - just as likely to be random.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now