Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I need my independence back desperately

(17 Posts)
Pinktreacle Mon 17-Aug-15 17:44:40

I really need some advice from all you smart mumsnetters. I have been a stay at home mum for 9 years. I am desperate to leave my partner. I am so unhappy.
After applying for jobs daily for over a year with no luck at all, I have decided to start my own business. The problem is I need some sort of grant, as I can't afford the set up without a small grant. I have no way of doing it without one.

Could somebody please give me some advice on grants or business start ups, so I can find a way out of my miserable life? I feel so overwhelmed. I can't cant carry on like this.

Please help!

CheddarGorgeous Mon 17-Aug-15 17:51:12

You need to give more information to get decent advice. What's your business?

There's not a lot of grants about, you might be eligible for retraining or in kind support.

If you had a decent business plan you might be able to get a business account with an overdraft facility.

sanityforlunch Mon 17-Aug-15 18:01:38

You say you are desperate to leave. Can you leave without an income? Can you separate/divorce and stay in the house?

How realistic is it to set up a viable business before you leave? It could take years for you to earn an income.

Tell us more about your situation.

Smilingforth Mon 17-Aug-15 18:35:15

if you can answer the questions above I'm sure you'll get great advice.

cozietoesie Mon 17-Aug-15 18:44:25

Does this involve selling something from home, Pink ?

Smilingforth Mon 17-Aug-15 18:55:56

Whatever you are thinking of be careful and do lots of research - there are many people who start up and then don't earn a dime

Pinktreacle Mon 17-Aug-15 20:11:34

It's selling a service. My friend is doing it and earns good money.

We rent and He won't leave and private letting agencies practically laugh at you when you enquire and say they don't want people on tax credits let alone housing benefit. This is the reality out there. It's very difficult.

Stripyhoglets Mon 17-Aug-15 21:07:11

Is it a council or HA tenancy. If you are joint tenants you need legal advice on how to transfer the tenancy into your sole name.

Pinktreacle Mon 17-Aug-15 21:55:36

It's a private rental

HootOnTheBeach Mon 17-Aug-15 22:00:46

Start Up Loans is government backed, I know someone who got a loan to start a business - you could check out their website?

Pinktreacle Mon 17-Aug-15 22:03:07

Oh thanks for that hoot. I'm going to look it up right now x

Pinktreacle Mon 17-Aug-15 22:10:09

Thanks HOOT, I've looked the website up and it looks great. They give you free mentoring too. grin

cozietoesie Mon 17-Aug-15 22:28:28

Just be real careful if it's some sort of network marketing, Pink. Such schemes are often punted as a lucrative life saver but very few people seem to be able to make them work - or at least not without alienating their entire friendship group - and if you're having a difficult relationship that might be the last thing you need.

Do your research very carefully - as a PP advised. The MSE forums are often also useful in that regard.

pocketsaviour Mon 17-Aug-15 22:33:39

Bear in mind that you'll be self-employed, which landlords hate even more than HB. They'll often want a year's worth of certified accounts with your proof of income.

Pinktreacle Mon 17-Aug-15 22:59:28

Thanks for the warning but it's nothing like that at all. Like I said my friend has shown me her business and she's doing well, so I'd like to give it a shot. After applying for so many jobs and getting nowhere, I've not got that much to lose.

We have never had a problem renting as self-employed, but yes you're right the do want to see accounts which I won't have at first. It's just so hard to get anywhere to live these days. It's so easy to want to leave but when the practicalities come into play, I can see why women stay put. I remember a thread by FREESPIRITED who showed the difficulties she faced and what she went through was horrendous. I don't think she ever updated. I often wonder what happened.

cozietoesie Mon 17-Aug-15 23:02:35

Good luck. smile

Pinktreacle Mon 17-Aug-15 23:06:05

Thank you Cozie, I need it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now