Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Legal aid for divorce

(9 Posts)
snowflake02 Sun 16-Aug-15 12:11:24

Just wondering if anyone knows if a private therapist can provide a letter of proof of domestic violence? I never went to the police or my GP....I've looked at the list on the legal aid website but I'm not sure if a therapist counts as a health professional? I have a women's aid call reference number, might that help? Finally found a solicitor who can help me but worried that the fact i didn't tell the 'right' people might mean I don't get the help after all.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 16-Aug-15 12:17:38

It wouldn't be taken seriously, only helpful for building an overall picture. Unless you saw a therapist through womens aid?

If I had to write a letter as a private therapist I would likely write (with your full input) that you attended X number of sessions and that they focused on issues around domestic abuse.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 16-Aug-15 12:18:30

You can still go now to the police/GP. And still use it as legal aid 'proof' I think.

snowflake02 Sun 16-Aug-15 12:28:31

Thank you. I saw a counsellor through my GP a couple of years ago, I gave the dr a different reason as I was too ashamed to say why but it was talked about in the sessions. Probably won't count as too long ago.

Smilingforth Sun 16-Aug-15 18:03:49

My thoughts are with you; there is nothing that makes my blood boil more.

snowflake02 Sun 16-Aug-15 19:18:41

Thank you

Twinklestein Sun 16-Aug-15 19:35:55

GPs can be quite shirty about women telling them they've experienced DV at the same time as asking for a letter for legal aid.

So you need to be smart about it.

First go to your GP and tell them the real reason you went to counselling a couple of years ago. Tell them the issues you've been having and its impact on your mental health. Say you saw a private therapist for the same reason. Don't mention divorce at all.

Then some time later - at least a month say - go back and tell them you've decided you have to divorce due to the DV.

Then ask if they can provide a letter for legal aid.

Twinklestein Sun 16-Aug-15 19:37:06

GPs can be quite shirty about women telling them they've experienced DV at the same time as asking for a letter for legal aid.

Ie when the patient hadn't previously mentioned DV.

goddessofsmallthings Sun 16-Aug-15 19:48:21

Yours is a cautionary tale which should be noted by any spouse who's being subjected to domestic violence as only police reports of the incidents at the time they occurred or shortly thereafter can be relied on to secure legal aid funding for divorce.

flowers Good luck with your attempt to secure funding and I hope you'll update this thread if you succeed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now