Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

A self-esteem / friendship issue

(4 Posts)
primrose34 Sat 15-Aug-15 12:49:46

This isn't really looking for advice, more me just vocalising a problem. I have a very small circle of friends (3) and generally have issues with self-esteem. A few weeks ago I had an argument with one friend which i thought was just clearing the air, neither of us have been good friends to each other recently. A few days later i noticed that she was still annoyed about things I'd said, whereas I'd just accepted things she had said as being in the heat of the moment. My big mistake was instead of stepping away and giving her time to get over it, i got all needy and over apologised, which made her even more annoyed.

Then I noticed that she was actively excluding me from social events that she would usually invite me to, so I apologised again, and told her I wanted to make things right. We met up for coffee and had a chat but things still didn't feel right, so again instead of giving her time I tried to pretend things were back to normal and sent some chatty texts that I received one word answers to.

The logical part of my brain knows that I should leave her be for a while and that she will come back when she's ready, but the illogical part of my brain is scared of losing her as a friend and wants to continue contacting her to try and make things right. I'm trying to keep myself busy with other things but am sad that I know my friend is out with other friends today (she has more friends than me) but I'm excluded.

IrenetheQuaint Sat 15-Aug-15 12:51:52

Give her space! Lots of space! Otherwise you'll annoy the hell out of her and your friendship will be over forever.

You know that really, don't you?

SoleBizzzz Sat 15-Aug-15 13:25:26

She can't accept your apologies she is now at fault for playing on your self esteem issues. She is trying to control you and is succeeding! She doesn't seem generous at all.

primrose34 Sat 15-Aug-15 13:39:15

Interesting perspective Sole.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now