Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

OK so it's over...practical advice needed please

(9 Posts)
glasshouses88 Tue 11-Aug-15 10:00:51

Hey everyone.
Posted recently about problems in my relationship and last week it ended.
I've been in a bit of shock but today it has hit me that this is actually happening, my mind feels full of fog so I'd really appreciate practical advice as to how I go about housing and such like.
I am 27, have 2 dc, ds1 is 4 and from a previous relationship which ended when ex pushed me against the wall and put his hand over my mouth. Ds2 is from current oh and is 7months old.
I am going back to uni next month to start year 3 of my (full-time) degree.
We are currently living in a rented house. I would like to leave this house as it uses a fire for heating/water (which is not ideal when I'm alone), it is out of the way for my family to help and I'd have to drop ds1 at school, take Ds2 to nursery and drive to uni which is a bit much for me alone and lastly the school does not offer wrap around care on a friday (we live just outside Edinburgh so school finishes midday on friday).
I would like to be back in Edinburgh next to my family who can then help us.
Ds1 starts school next week so I feel awful about him starting at a school and me having to move him.
I do not work. I have no income at all right now apart from cm for ds1, £40 pw.
What is my next step??
Do I go to the council and declare us homeless?
Many thanks for any advice flowers

pocketsaviour Tue 11-Aug-15 10:09:39

You're not homeless and you mustn't leave your current accommodation, or you'll be seen as intentionally homeless and the council will have no obligation to help you.

You will need to apply for housing benefit and I would think you'll get income support with babby being so young.

You can put in for a transfer to local authority housing in Edinburgh but you won't be priority as you're currently housed.

Ah - just realised things may be slightly different in Scotland, so a phone call to CAB or Shelter might help re your housing.

Do you think your x will pay maintenance for his DC or will you have to get CSA involved?

glasshouses88 Tue 11-Aug-15 10:24:37

Thanks pocketsaviour.
I will give CAB a phone today when dc are not in ear shot.
I thought I could maybe move , then apply for housing benefit when I was there? I won't get full amount as I will have my student loan again by then, which means I also won't be entitled to income support.
It's difficult though as I need to prove to rental company I can pay rent.
Also with regards to telling 4 year old I thought I should keep it very simplistic...along the lines of we're moving to be near nanna but there's not enough room for oh...but he will see us lots?
What a rubbish state of affairs

glasshouses88 Tue 11-Aug-15 10:26:38

I think oh will pay child matainence for ds2 without the need to involve csa

pocketsaviour Tue 11-Aug-15 10:42:45

Do you not get income support if you're at Uni? Sorry I'm a bit rusty on benefits at Uni as my DS didn't go. Is your student loan supposed to cover that?

As you identified, the problem with moving will be getting a landlord who accepts HB - I don't know if that's difficult in Edinburgh? I can certainly understand wanting to be near your family for support.

glasshouses88 Tue 11-Aug-15 10:54:37

No I don't think you do get income support when your at uni, you've either got to stretch that £500 for the month to cover rent, bills, car, food etc. Or work.
Yeah I cannot imagine being stuck out in my village alone with no family!

Mum4Fergus Tue 11-Aug-15 10:54:42

Can't advise fully but I'm just outside Edin too...there are lots of breakfast and after school clubs in the area to support you with wrap around care, which area will you be?

glasshouses88 Tue 11-Aug-15 11:05:26

Also oh does want us out. He wants me to find me and the boys somewhere to live ASAP because he doesn't want to keep paying rent for this place when we are not together

glasshouses88 Tue 11-Aug-15 11:07:26

Hi mumforfergus I'm in Midlothian.
I know there is an after school club which serves serval primary schools but doesn't serve our primary on a Friday

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now