Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Difficult situation

(10 Posts)
Amara123 Tue 04-Aug-15 19:15:27

Hi all

A couple of weeks ago I had a friend visit for a few days with her teenage son. He was relentlessly rude and surly and complained about everything while here to the point me and my partner were at our wits end! I still feel surprisingly upset about the situation as I feel frustrated my friend did not try to address some of the behaviour and also anxious in case they want to visit again. Like how do I put her off because I am pretty sure my partner would leave the country if he turned up again! And this isn't an anti teenager thread, I am close with a few in my family and the moodiness etc doesn't usually bother me at all, I just give them plenty of space etc.

How do I deal with this wise ladies? Am a bit worried about my friendship.

AnyFucker Tue 04-Aug-15 19:19:36

If she asks, say no and tell her why

DayLillie Tue 04-Aug-15 19:21:41

How old is he? How often does she ask to visit?

If you are lucky, he is older and the visits are far apart, he won't come next time wink

Amara123 Tue 04-Aug-15 19:23:35

Its bloody hard isn't it? Like you are not meant to comment on people's kids or parenting style but this was shockingly bad behaviour. Rudeness and tantrums in public type stuff and weird manipulative things too.

Af I was dying to say something!

Amara123 Tue 04-Aug-15 19:25:33

He is 13 so lots of potential trips ahead! sad although I don't think she would want to come more than once a year! I literally don't think I could do it again...aahhh

AnyFucker Tue 04-Aug-15 19:26:59

did she pick up at all that you were struggling with his behaviour ?

she may not ask again

mistlethrush Tue 04-Aug-15 19:29:14

Dear friend, I would love to see you again. However, your son didn't seem to enjoy anything so I suggest that he goes and stays with a friend or similar when you come.

Amara123 Tue 04-Aug-15 19:34:21

Nicely put mistlethrush! I do think she picked up on it a bit which probably made the atmosphere more strained. The only nice hour or so we had were when he wasn't around. I guess I was a bit disappointed in her too. When I was a teen my parents were pretty clear about how I was to behave around others and this kid was being let off with some pretty naughty things.

AnyFucker Tue 04-Aug-15 19:38:21

don't be disappointed in her

some kids really are more difficult than others

Amara123 Tue 04-Aug-15 19:40:14

Thanks ladies. I just felt the need to vent. Am taking your advice as I think it is eminently sensible! Now to have a glass of wine! wine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now