Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Why can't I just let this go?

(11 Posts)
Katie2001 Mon 03-Aug-15 14:59:29

A year ago, someone I was at school with made contact with me on Facebook. We went out for the evening and it was nice, but I heard nothing from him for a few months. He then said he was coming down (lives up north) so I invited him to a friend's birthday party but he didn't reply. He got back in contact with me in October time and we messaged quite a lot (via Facebook). I went up North to see him in December and things happened which I now regret (he didn't stay over with me in the hotel as he had to work the next day). The day before New Years Eve I found out (via Facebook!) he had been seeing someone else since October. He asked me twice to meet up again in February and March this year and has cancelled both times. If a friend had told me this about a bloke I'd be telling them what an idiot he is. So why can't I just do the same and move on?

CheersMedea Mon 03-Aug-15 15:02:37

Is it because you slept with him you think? That maybe you were expecting more and were hurt when you found out he was involved with someone else.

And the reason you can't move on is that you psychologically want to get one over on him and have him come crawling back to you?

Did you have any history with him at school?

(this firmly supports my view that no good comes from Facebook).

Jan45 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:09:35

So he decides when he gets in touch and you jump, really OP, are you that surprised you've now found out he's been seeing someone.

Unless he is Brad Pitt and unbelievably good at sex, I think it's probably because you don't have enough in your life and you are going back to him out of nothing better to do, go find something better, surely you can find better than him.

Katie2001 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:10:27

Thanks Cheers, I don't think it helps that I was being really cautious due to my previous relationship, and he chased and chased until I felt more confident, then this happened. We had no real history at school, I remembered him as shy and quiet, but clearly that's changed!

JeanSeberg Mon 03-Aug-15 15:11:37

So why can't I just do the same and move on?

Aah the triumph of hope over experience.

Katie2001 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:17:33

I completely agree Jan, I have a really full life with lots going on, I just fell for him really hard and I just feel a bit foolish to say the least.

Jan45 Mon 03-Aug-15 15:20:41

As soon as a guy stops getting in touch or is infrequent, unreliable, that tells you everything.

I think you are far too nice and are too quick to allow men to pick you up and drop you, until you decide these types are not for you it will keep happening.

Good, you are not bored, you just need a bit more practice at spotting the chancers.

CheersMedea Mon 03-Aug-15 15:31:12

I was being really cautious due to my previous relationship, and he chased and chased until I felt more confident, then this happened.

Ah well this probably makes it worse for you. If you held off to see if he was serious and then you get totally shafted. It's not surprising it has left a feeling of rawness.

But really you need to go total no contact with this guy. Delete numbers, emails, facebook friending. All of it. Like he never was. Sound like you are still vulnerable to him and no contact is usually the best remedy.

Katie2001 Mon 03-Aug-15 17:04:42

Thanks very much all.

Feawen Mon 03-Aug-15 21:01:17

There was a thread recently on limerence, which I found very helpful in explaining my feelings about certain men from my past. Limerence is a sort of unreasonable infatuation that feels overwhelming. OP, maybe it would help you too? I'm sure it's searchable.

I'm sorry you're unhappy. I agree that, sadly, no contact is best.

Katie2001 Tue 04-Aug-15 12:27:43

Thank you Feawen I will look that up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now