Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

AIBU - acquaintance said we were loaded

(14 Posts)
W33ble Sun 02-Aug-15 20:58:02

Have just bought a new house. Had a saleman come round to price up a conservatory. I realised he is the father of an ex colleague I got on with quite well . We got on really well in the showroom and for half an hour when he was taking the measurements at our new home. Then his parting words were "Daughter says you two are loaded and will have lots to spend". Said while he was laughing. I looked at DH like wtf? AIBU to be offended. We are more fortunate than most and both have a nice car and a nice home but arnt brash and work 50 plus hours in our respective jobs. To top it off he went to price up windows for my BIL after seeing us and said the same thing. I mean who the hell says something like that?!

Glitoris Sun 02-Aug-15 21:01:45

That's one salesman who wouldn't get my business,that's for sure smile

He's an idiot,thinks he is full of 'banter',get a quote from someone else and go with them instead.

StayWithMe Sun 02-Aug-15 21:02:11

Well, you'd be dafy to use that fella then. He's liable to rip the arse out of it, if he thinks you're loaded. It's one thing his daughter saying it, but really stupid of him to repeat what she said. At least you know what's going through his mind now.

goddessofsmallthings Sun 02-Aug-15 21:21:57

Make sure you get at least 3 quotes from reputable companies that aren't associated with that knob of a 'salesman' who seems to think you've got money to burn and will no doubt seek to burn you.

Joysmum Sun 02-Aug-15 21:55:50

'Offended'? Yes you are being unreasonable. I'm fed up with people declaring themselves as being 'offended' at the slightest thing.

Yes it was weird and inappropriate but to others without nice cars and a new house you would appear as 'loaded'. There's nothing wrong with being comfortably well off so nothing to be offended at hmm

InTheBox Sun 02-Aug-15 21:59:16

In this context you're unreasonable to be offended. Yes it was a crass remark but really not worth being offended over. And it possible to give off an air of wealth without explicitly saying "i'm loaded."

stepsharp Sun 02-Aug-15 22:09:52

He thought you would get the joke, but he's just a shit salesman.

QuiteLikely5 Sun 02-Aug-15 22:23:29

I wouldn't like this. He was very unprofessional. Avoid.

Inexperiencedchick Mon 03-Aug-15 00:05:59

Someone else is better.

It doesn't matter what you have and how much you have.
You need someone professional here who will not use his tongue like an idiot. There is always have to be a gap between a client and the contractor/company.
The fact that his daughter tells that about you shows you who you are dealing with.

Find someone else.

It's ok to be offended and feel uncomfortable.
Just don't bit yourself up for being better off than others.

Good luck

BlackeyedSusan Mon 03-Aug-15 00:25:39

I am more struck by the 50 hours per week ....I guess it is par for the course for something professional? <shudder> <tries to wipe memory of long working weeks from brain>

"loaded" is all about perspective. anyone who earns more than me and has money to spare is loaded. they do not seem to think so though. wink

cewrtainly go with a different company. they will rip you off if they think you have money to burn.

TheStoic Mon 03-Aug-15 04:09:01

Do you think he meant it as an insult...is that why you feel offended?

HerRoyalNotness Mon 03-Aug-15 04:23:09

I think it was banter.

You might have said back "haha, better get a quote for an orangerie then! "

Get 3 quotes anyway and pick the best (which is not necessarily the cheapest)

Only1scoop Mon 03-Aug-15 04:28:50

Said the same to you Bil?

Blimey it's certainly banter of the crassiest nature. I wouldn't be offended.

It's a conservatory you are buying after all. grin

BumWad Mon 03-Aug-15 04:40:01

I get you op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now