Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

meeting online date tommorrow!

(45 Posts)
garrettbobbyferguson Sat 25-Jul-15 15:48:34

I am taking the plunge and meeting someone from plenty of fish tomorrow, he seems lovely, we have chatted loads and there has been lots of flirting, we have seen each others photos and seem to have a lot in common.

I spoke to him on the phone yesterday for the first time and got butterflies!

I know it might not work out and if it does it might not be a long term thing but i am so excited and nervous.I haven't been with anyone but my husband for 8 years and i am so scared!9 but really excited too!)

Please hold my hand and tell me your online dating stories (good and bad!) to get me through til tomorrow night !

ThePonyFormerlyKnownAsTony Sat 25-Jul-15 17:36:30

I'm going on a pof date tonight, I am absolutely terrified... I really don't want to go (because of nerves) but forcing myself...
Yours sounds set to be much more successful than mine grin

INeedSomeHelp Sat 25-Jul-15 17:41:27

I'm waiting for my pof "date" to turn up just now and we're going to the cinema and Iut for dinner. We've been going out for 5 months now and its going great so far grin.
Try to relax and enjoy yourself and don't have too many expectations. Good luck!

honeysucklejasmine Sat 25-Jul-15 17:43:41

I'm married to my online date, with a baby on the way.

Guess it went well!

NoArmaniNoPunani Sat 25-Jul-15 17:44:43

Good luck. I met DH on plenty of fish. Now we are expecting our first baby.

hidingbehindsmile Sat 25-Jul-15 17:52:48

Had my first pof date today, was so nervous but really enjoyed myself. After five minutes we both relaxed and it was a lovely morning.

VelmaD Sat 25-Jul-15 17:52:59

Good luck to both of you with POF dates! My last pof date was two years ago and I am still smitten and amazingly in love, so it does work. Took a lot of frogs, a few failed two to three month flings, but in all was a good experience and will always have a soft spot for plenty of fish.

BellaOfTheBalls Sat 25-Jul-15 17:54:51

I met up with a man I met online.

10 years, 2 children & 1 wedding later; he's alright actually.

mentaldental22 Sat 25-Jul-15 17:58:47

Met my OH online, we met just over a year ago and are now planning our wedding. Relax and be yourself this evening, it's an exciting time x

ThePonyFormerlyKnownAsTony Sat 25-Jul-15 17:58:53

What do you do if it's awful???
I'm so scared that it'll be plainly obviously that he's not attracted to me or finds me uninteresting....
stressful!
Good luck to you OP.

VelmaD Sat 25-Jul-15 18:07:54

I've had awful.

I've had so bad that as soon as we met I had to get away so I quickly lied that my childcare had fallen through but I had time for a quick coffee only.

Another I left straight after dinner, after a very stilted conversation.

A third I confess to texting a friend under the table and getting her to ring me so I could leave. I couldn't get awayfast enough.

But all the others (about fifteen maybe?) ive been able to get through dinner and a drink, simply as it's just conversation and getting to know someone. You can usually fill a dinner conversation with work stuff or family and then go your own ways. I've had good dinners even with people I knew from the start wouldn't be boyfriends, I just saw the dates as a chance to meet new people.

The ones I ran from were scarily weird, one had blatantly lied about his age, height and had awful halitosis. He also then spent the entire quick coffee bitching about his ex wife so my weirdo radar was right.

ThePonyFormerlyKnownAsTony Sat 25-Jul-15 18:13:57

Okay so (sorry to hijack your thread Garrett), if the conversation is terrible... Silences etc... What are the easiest things to talk about.
I'm currently drinking prosecco to calm my nerves... And I'vechecked train times so can say 'oh my trains at 9 so I need to leave' which has calmed me a little.... But oh god, this is so nerve wracking!

VelmaD Sat 25-Jul-15 18:34:41

If there are silences ask simple questions. You can do the usual "have you done this before" chat. Ask about last weekend/Christmas/summer. Ask what they did at school or college. Ask if they're going on holiday/chat about favourite abroad places.

Or do what DP and I do and people watch and gossip. gringrin I knew he was the one for me on our first date when we both realised the other loved people watching and judging as much as we did. It's wrong but we love it wink

StuffDocMcStuffins Sat 25-Jul-15 18:50:06

A year with my POF date and going strong!

I went on a few, and I think lots of messages, flirting and butterflies are definitely a good sign! Some you know even before you step out of the door that it isn't going to go anywhere.

Relax, be yourself, have no expectations and just enjoy!

ApollO88 Sat 25-Jul-15 19:03:11

my bf at the time was cheating on me so I set up myself an account on zoosk to prove I could play him at his own game. now have a lovely 4 yr old DS and am marrying the first guy I met in october after being together for 5 years this year. our parents thinking met through mutual friends though.....

Ilikefrogs Sat 25-Jul-15 19:07:00

I went on three online POF dates and on number 4 met the man I'm now living with.
He is lovely: kind, considerate, funny, emotionally literate and very sexy!
In fact, it's the best relationship I've ever had!
Just be yourself and have fun!

Minime85 Sat 25-Jul-15 19:11:19

As everyone else said enjoy it. Don't take it to seriously. Have a get out clause. I always let someone know where I was going.

I liked POF. It was better than match and tinder. Good luck

hollieberrie Sat 25-Jul-15 21:02:17

Wow this thread has given me hope. Congrats to everyone and good luck with your date OP.

Goodbetterbest Sat 25-Jul-15 21:42:08

After a long, shitty marriage I decided to have a crack at OLD.

Only had one date.

He is lush and I am sticking with him. smile

superram Sat 25-Jul-15 21:47:59

11 years, marriage and 2 kids I would definitely recommend old!

VelmaD Sun 26-Jul-15 08:08:57

So?!?! How did they go?!

Fairylea Sun 26-Jul-15 08:19:45

Another pof marriage here smile 5 years on and 1 toddler later..... !

garrettbobbyferguson Sun 26-Jul-15 10:09:40

Mine isn't until tonight! Exh has the kids from 12 today until tomorrow morning so going to spend the day pampering myself.

I know some people will say i shouldnt but if I like him and I feel like it I ill probably sleep with him! What should i do in thr pubic hair department? There's a bit of a 70s vibe going on at the moment....do I shave it all off?just some????

exWifebeginsat40 Sun 26-Jul-15 10:24:41

I've been with my POF date for over a year now. he's lovely.

a first date is not the time to be worrying about your pubes.

garrettbobbyferguson Sun 26-Jul-15 12:38:56

Really?but what if we have sex?!we probably will!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now