Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Make up on his shirt??

(23 Posts)
Aspect25 Fri 24-Jul-15 21:52:21

As I was sorting the washing today I noticed what I thought looked like make up on dh's shirt.
I don't know what to make of this and it certainly isn't mine.
What would you think?
I might just be being paranoid but not sure.

Henrietta15 Fri 24-Jul-15 22:06:53

It could have been a female college or male! Maybe given a hug?

Ask him straight out, don't be vicious though, there's usually a very simple explanation.

Concordial Sat 25-Jul-15 06:25:07

Could he be using a bit of tinted moisturiser himself? Could it be sunscreen?
Ask him, not accusingly, maybe something like "ah hon, what's this on here, love? Do I need to put some stain remover on it before the wash?"

GrizzlebertGrumbledink Sat 25-Jul-15 06:31:42

Definitely just ask him, I got make up on a colleagues shirt because I had an awful day at work and he caught me hiding to have a cry. A hug, a chance to talk it through and a glass of water later and I felt much better, I'd hate to think of his wife being upset by that

Aspect25 Sat 25-Jul-15 07:54:59

He doesn't use any products and I hate to say it but he doesn't have any female colleagues. I can't think of anyone who it would reasonably be!

BeyonceRiRiMadonnna Sat 25-Jul-15 07:59:36

I'm always getter makeup on my male and female friends clothing, especially when we are hugging it out......once I got it on one of my girlfriends pristine white linen jacket, she was pissed..........my point, it could all be very innocent also you are not with him 24/7, it could be a cousin/friend of a friend etc, as others have said , just ask him!

PeoniesForAll Sat 25-Jul-15 14:42:55

I get make up on other people's clothes all the time...usually from a hug! Is it on the collar/from shoulder area? I really don't think you should stress too much about this x

cozietoesie Sat 25-Jul-15 14:47:19

It might not even be make-up - the things I've come away from work with strange stains on don't bear thinking about. I wouldn't stress about it - just ask him. (If it was something .....questionable.... after all, I wouldn't have thought he'd put it in the wash like everything else.)

GallopingFoxley Sat 25-Jul-15 14:48:15

Is it lipstick or foundation?

TokenGinger Sat 25-Jul-15 15:56:25

Some women got her make up on my jacket just squeezing past me on the tube! I'd ask him.

Enoughalreadyyou Sat 25-Jul-15 22:42:18

Depends on the back story. Is there any reason for you to suspect something? Is he distant? Works lateetc?

Rosieliveson Sat 25-Jul-15 22:57:53

I know this sounds ridiculous but could it be yours? Did you have a hug after work?
I once spent an hour or so panicking over lipstick on DH's shirt only to realise later that it was actually mine blush

Aspect25 Sun 26-Jul-15 09:34:03

It looks like foundation on the collar.
I don't know what to think.
Things are exactly great between us.
Yes, he does work late sometimes.
I haven't said anything yet.
Nothing else to suspect.

Joysmum Sun 26-Jul-15 09:36:30

Ask him what it is so you can put the right remover on it befire washing so it comes out.

MagicalHamSandwich Sun 26-Jul-15 09:42:46

Has he got a tan? My pristine white blouses always seem to go brown on the collar when my tan comes off - I hate it!

Otherwise backing up what everyone else has said: I've definitely smeared makeup on my poor colleagues before - usually when hugging them. I've also planted bright red lipstick marks on my boss's cheek during one particularly exciting celebration of a contract we won after working ourselves half to death for three months. His wife still speaks to me! grin

InTheBox Sun 26-Jul-15 09:47:11

It could be sweat if it's on the collar. Anyway just ask.
If he's having an affair there'll be a lot more proof than just foundation on a collar.

ALaughAMinute Sun 26-Jul-15 09:49:34

To be honest, if I were you I'd be inclined to think the worst. Have you washed the shirt yet? Perhaps you should show it to him and ask how the foundation got there?

cozietoesie Sun 26-Jul-15 10:03:05

I'd take Joysmum's approach - it would be a valid question.

CatMilkMan Sun 26-Jul-15 14:11:21

I get makeup on my shirt at least once a week and I try very hard not to. It used to happen a lot more than once a week.

Aspect25 Sun 26-Jul-15 14:44:12

Actually, to be honest, I am thinking the worst which is why I'm sitting on this issue and wondering what to do.
Dh and I aren't really happy, he does often work late and I am suspicious.
It's not my makeup.
I'm still wondering how to approach this.

Janekai88 Sun 26-Jul-15 16:27:56

Just ask him? Catch him off guard!

rouxlebandit Sun 26-Jul-15 16:44:27

You admit that all is not well in your marriage. I'm sorry about this but maybe all the more reason for doing something instead of nothing. I agree with Joysmum's suggestion. The makeup on his shirt may have a perfectly innocent explanation. If not, however, then you need to talk sooner rather than later. We're thinking about you.

toffeeboffin Sun 26-Jul-15 17:39:33

Honestly OP, if it was me and I had suspicions, I wouldn't wash the shirt.

Hide the shirt and see if he mentions it, i guess he didn't realise it had make up on it? I'd do some digging too, there's a reason you are suspicious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now