Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Relationship advice

(5 Posts)
tickled90 Tue 21-Jul-15 17:41:11

Ok so my BF died 6 years ago and ever since his best friend and I have grown close, in a completely amicable way.. until very recently. I' ve started wondering about the friend in a different way. I'm just confused, how do I know if I have feelings or is it just because I admire him so much? He's helped me through thick & thin and vice versa. We slept in the same bed recently, we didn't do anything.. but it felt wonderful being so close! Maybe I'm just lonely as I havent seen anyone since the death of my BF and I have a 7yrld DS.

8angle Tue 21-Jul-15 17:46:16

I know it sounds scary, but why don't you talk to him and explain how you feel?

I hope it works out well for you and so sorry for your loss.

tickled90 Tue 21-Jul-15 18:05:09

Thanks I know I should but there's so many blocks. I don't even know if I truly like him that way so should I risk our friendship and I've learnt through talking to him in the pas that other friends have 'warned' him away from me when we were getting really close.

8angle Tue 21-Jul-15 18:12:10

I think you should talk to him, a "friendship" with unrequited feelings will just lead to heartache and stress longer term.

I would not worry about "other friends" he is an adult and will make up his own mind.

With either friendship or relationship honesty and communication is surely key.

I would also say that if he does not want a relationship, this will allow you to draw a line under it and be open to other people.

I know it seems like the most painful route to take, but whatever happens, longer term it is going to be better for you to know.

tickled90 Tue 21-Jul-15 18:38:55

Yeah you've hit the nail on the head. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now