Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Online dating - nostril picture anyone!?!

(52 Posts)
Balders74 Fri 17-Jul-15 22:31:24

I recently joined an online dating site & my god what is wrong with the men?? The profile pictures range from 'oh dear' to 'my God man what were you thinking'. Lots of the pictures are selfies taken from below giving a wonderful view directly up their nostrils, others are slumped in a messy room looking unwashed!!

Seriously, it is so depressing that this is the selection of my age range (40-50). I tried POF a few weeks ago but had to leave due to the poor selection.

I don't really want a fat, balding, beer swigging loser. Maybe OD isn't for me & a trip to Ann Summers is needed blush.

I have read some stories on here of people that have successfully met someone via OD but it seems to be like search for a needle in a haystack.

circleskirt Fri 17-Jul-15 22:40:24

Have a nose on Guardian Soul mates OP, the beer swilling losers may not look so bad after all. wink

WestEast Fri 17-Jul-15 22:43:00

My DP in real life is rather lovely looking. He chose a fucking awful photo for online dating, no chin, bad hair. But he liked it and it made him feel good, which is the important thing, much more important than what I think.

circleskirt Fri 17-Jul-15 22:46:34

That's a bonus West, you were probably his only date.

littletwinkletoesx Fri 17-Jul-15 22:46:45

Messy rooms are awful on the pics.
You can tell a lot from these pics, backround items lying about!
Why go to the trouble of creating a profile and then adding an awful pic?

Just why.

WestEast Fri 17-Jul-15 22:48:00

circle no I wasn't. I just flicked through his other photos.

circleskirt Fri 17-Jul-15 22:55:58

I think I sounded a bit rude West blush I didn't mean it the way it came out.

notnowImreading Fri 17-Jul-15 23:00:45

I've been approached on guardian soulmates by a man who looks exactly like the one on the Big Bang theory who wants to take Amy to the rocks and minerals show.

Kissmetillitingle Fri 17-Jul-15 23:30:36

You are soo right op. I've had a look myself. Too many of them look like police mugshots, all they're missing is that little black board they hold. & all the goodies are 35 & under, not wanting a 40+ woman who's been through the mill. That or you're based in Southampton & they live in Hull!

Balders74 Fri 17-Jul-15 23:32:29

I did try Guardian Soulmates & they were awful on there too. I don't think I have high expectation, I just want someone who takes pride in his appearance, has a job, isn't on the large side (sorry if this sounds fattist but I have just come out of a marriage to a man who got very fat & it massively affected his personality, energy levels & libido), just the right size so that I can go on top grin.

It also annoys me when someone says they are happy to chat but when you send them a message they don't respond. I'm not sending cheesy messages but nothing.

On the plus side I have not had any cock shots yet grin so shouldn't complain too much.

Balders74 Fri 17-Jul-15 23:35:37

I'm sure one of them posted a picture of himself lying on his prison bed!! And yes, the few that have been any good are 250+ miles away.

GraysAnalogy Fri 17-Jul-15 23:37:47

There's someone for everyone I suppose. I don't use things like this but my mates have shown me some horrors.

I',m just imagining the uproar if a man posted something like this though ha

Balders74 Fri 17-Jul-15 23:46:46

Oh I am sure there must be some equally horrific female versions and as you say hopefully there is someone for everyone.

niceupthedance Sat 18-Jul-15 07:17:36

You need to keep up with the latest dating app trends to find the decent people (at least in London). Have you tried hinge?

niceupthedance Sat 18-Jul-15 07:18:13

Or happn?

Perfectlypurple Sat 18-Jul-15 07:19:33

I did some OD years ago. Met some decent people. Ended up meeting dh at work though.

I do know 3 couples who are now married after meeting on POF. So there are decent ones.

Olddear Sat 18-Jul-15 07:29:40

Remember the naked guy who was painting his caravan?

missqwerty Sat 18-Jul-15 08:28:18

My DP took the low angle nose pic to send me, I think they are clueless as to what looks good lol. Luckily I knew of him in person 10 years previously and we met up and he was really well kept and attractive. We get married very soon so don't give up!

truthaboutlove Sat 18-Jul-15 08:37:24

I think most people look better in real life than their online photos giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Apart from the ones who have used a holiday photo from the 1980s where they think they looked their best (wham anyone?)

And what's with putting up a profile pic of you with your elderly parents and thinking that's attractive?

Ouchbloodyouch Sat 18-Jul-15 08:54:08

My boyfriend looks far better in real life. He said the same about me though. He really wasn't my type physically looking at his OLD pics but as his chat was pleasant I thought I would chance a date. I'm so glad I did as he really is very attractive.

imtheonlyone Sat 18-Jul-15 08:59:54

Blokes profile pictures are hilarious! What winds me up the most though is a picture of them with a big fish or them with their car confusedconfusedconfused very sad!!!!

WhatALoadOfOldBollocks Sat 18-Jul-15 09:16:28

"Remember the naked guy who was painting his caravan?"
Yup grin

"And what's with putting up a profile pic of you with your elderly parents and thinking that's attractive?"
God knows. And why would anyone have profile pics with their children in them!?hmm I saw plenty of those when I was OD.

bertsdinner Sat 18-Jul-15 15:44:05

I like the ones where they pose like a male catalogue model.
I also get a bit bemused when you get a pic of the guy posing next to his motor. I suppose its to make me feel impressed, well it dosnt. It makes me feel like I've blundered onto Auto Trader.

circleskirt Sat 18-Jul-15 15:53:09

The man painting the caravan.... What does the tattoo say.. Sunday something?

madmother1 Sat 18-Jul-15 15:58:13

OMG! I've given up on OD. Was feeling a bit lonely last night. The same god awful men are still on there. Fat looking men with awful looking photos. They just all look like my Dad. I'm really nothing to look at, but keep myself trim and put a lot of thought into my photos. Some examples. A chap with a nice photo of his elderly Mum. She was in her dressing gown. Scruffy decoration...boarders from the 80's. Pints of milk left out of the fridge. Ironing hanging up. Bathroom shots?? I could go on. I'm joining a convent or getting a dog as a campanion. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now