Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

How does your marriage work?

(7 Posts)
Joysmum Fri 17-Jul-15 17:04:19

What sort of a person are you?

I'm a planner. I like to weigh up possibilities and outcomes to make decisions and plan projects like military operations so I feel fully in control. I'm not good when my plans go wrong and I don't cope well with uncertainty. I push to be as good as I can be, even if that's way beyond what's needed. I don't have an original bone in my body but love making somebody else's ideas work.

My DH is the opposite. He's more laissez-faire and not one for planning and just deals with things as they happen. He's consequently great at crisis management (I'm not and get stressed by it). Good enough is good enough for him. He's always got loads of great ideas but would need somebody else to make them work.

We compliment each other whilst at the same time driving each other up the wall! grin

How does your marriage work. Are you similar or chalk and cheese? Does it work or drive you insane?

Euphemia Fri 17-Jul-15 17:11:28

Neither of us does anything without planning/thought. DH is more cautious than me, much more conservative and becoming stuck in his ways. We're late 40s, together for 21 years.

DH's reaction to a small crisis (chocolate on the carpet) is the same as to a big one (water gushing through the ceiling) - he's either totally calm or totally raging; there's no middle ground. Drives me nuts!

He has the sense to listen to me if I tell him he's over-reacting, though. smile

Skiptonlass Fri 17-Jul-15 17:31:02

I'm a worrier. He's an unusual mix of confidence without being arrogant - quietly just makes sure everything is ok and very little flusters him. He's just very...grounded. It's a good compliment to me smile

We both have very similar senses of humour. Similar outlooks on life and similar priorities.

He's extremely kind and considerate - I've had a tough time of this pregnancy and he's supported me all the way. He's a rock.

We just work, I suppose. Nice when that happens, eh?

honeyroar Fri 17-Jul-15 18:19:47

We're just like you and your husband OP!

circleskirt Fri 17-Jul-15 18:23:14

I don't know how my marriage works, we are total opposites in absolutely everything. The longer we are together the more noticeable it is.

We just love each other I guess, but I don't know why.

hedgehogsdontbite Fri 17-Jul-15 18:53:52

I'm quite bossy and very organised but don't have much energy due to health problems. DH is a seriously hard worker who worries when he's not busy but is quite chaotic and never knows where to start. So I happily sit on the sofa ordering him about and he cracks on with it, grateful that someone else is in command.

elderflowergin Fri 17-Jul-15 20:42:10

Hedgehogs that's sounds a good combination, a bit like me and DH!
I am an organised planner, except when it comes to money. DH is a laid back, see what happens when it happens sort of person, which can drive me mad, except when it comes to money, where he is an organised budgeter (if that's a word)?
We make a good couple I think, married for 15 years, together for 20. We are both fairly calm, laid back types although we do have quite feisty children, which can wind us up but we are good at stepping in and taking over when the other is finding it all a bit much. The only thing that really annoys me is that he is not good at saying sorry, he gets very defensive if he does something wrong or makes a wrong decision, and it takes agggeessss for him to say sorry, whereas I would quickly say sorry to move on from something. We are generally very happy though and don't argue much. We are very tactile and cuddly, the dc are always groaning and hiding their eyes, saying ewww stop kissing wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now