Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

To wish that I, someone, anyone could help my brother?

(13 Posts)
Beeswax2017 Fri 17-Jul-15 13:05:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Beeswax2017 Fri 17-Jul-15 13:26:13

DawnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-Jul-15 14:24:46

Hi, we're moving this thread over to our Relationships topic at the OP's request.

SandysMam Fri 17-Jul-15 14:33:25

This is quite an interesting link about addiction, obviously just for info but in no way advice as I'm not qualified to offer any...
www.ted.com/talks/johann_hari_everything_you_think_you_know_about_addiction_is_wrong#t-863909

SandysMam Fri 17-Jul-15 14:34:35

Good luck with your brother OP, but also remember you're not alone in loving someone who has problems flowers

Beeswax2017 Fri 17-Jul-15 14:35:55

SandysMam Fri 17-Jul-15 14:38:32

It's an interesting concept but also made me feel a bit sad so be prepared. Don't forget it's also ok to love someone but not like them very much, your brother sounds like hard work so don't feel guilty feeling so!

Mrsmorton Fri 17-Jul-15 14:45:37

Hi OP, my mum is similar although she's incredibly antisocial so I don't have to worry about her in public any more. Thank goodness.

We thought she had Korsakoff's syndrome earlier this year, she hardly eats so gets no nutrients. She snapped out of it tho and is actually doing ok at present.

She won't ever ever ever go to the Dr, she's needed suturing numerous times from falls but won't ever go so...

No help for you but a hand hold hopefully.

soulfuleyes Fri 17-Jul-15 15:28:52

Although he no doubt has an addictive personality and is replacing drink with food, some anti-depressants can increase appetite enormously and cause extreme tiredness, mirtazapine in particular. Is he on those? Just i don't think they would help the situation and maybe needs his meds re-assessed?

flowers

hampsterdam Fri 17-Jul-15 19:32:11

If the doctor can't help him and he won't help himself what can you do? Sorry you are going through this op, my brother is very similar although I fear he will kill himself with drink before he gets to a doctor. It's sad and I love him but the drama self pity and emotional blackmail became too much and I've limited contact just waiting for the phone call really and hoping he sorts it before its too late.

hampsterdam Fri 17-Jul-15 19:32:55

Not much help sorry just so you know you're not the only one flowers

Beeswax2017 Fri 17-Jul-15 19:41:26

Mrsmorton Fri 17-Jul-15 20:08:13

flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now