Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What does this mean?

(10 Posts)
Angelic88 Mon 13-Jul-15 19:10:47

When a guy jokingly says things like "your lips are warm, who have you been kissing" or if he's away on business "Who are you going to replace me with?"
we have not been seeing each other for long and although he says this in a jokey Manor. .. I think there may be more to it? What do you think?

springydaffs Mon 13-Jul-15 19:14:15

Ask him. Don't be put off if he says it's just a joke. Is a weird thing to say, it's not funny.

Doesn't trust you, basically. Either bcs he's been cheated on or... well let's hope he's not one of those.

CheersMedea Mon 13-Jul-15 19:14:53

If this is very early, I would worry this was an early indicator of extreme jealously and controlling behaviour that will emerge later.

It may be nothing but the "replace me with" is a bit weird if you are a very new couple.

Jakadaal Mon 13-Jul-15 19:15:46

Sounds a bit insecure to me and rather than asking outright he is 'joking' to get some reassurance

pocketsaviour Mon 13-Jul-15 19:16:53

Giving the benefit of the doubt (if there aren't any other worrying signs) could it be a not-so-subtle way of asking if you're seeing other people as well as him? If you haven't had the "are we in an exclusive relationship yet" conversation?

Fearless91 Mon 13-Jul-15 20:04:20

My ex was like this. I naively thought it was jokey/sweet at first hmm

Turns out he was jealous, manipulative and controlling! It was just his insecurity starting to show.

I'm not saying this is the case with you/him but next time he says something like that just be like "stop being so stupid".

TasEdin Mon 13-Jul-15 20:11:38

Sounds like he is insecure and worried and trying not to cover it up. It's probably worth, IMO, sitting down and talking about it. If he is somewhat insecure (like me), start off with good things, then mention your concern, and reassure him.

Saltedcaramel2014 Mon 13-Jul-15 20:14:37

Needy and/or likely to be a chat himself

I would be wary. Hopefully he's neither of these things and of course he could be. But there's probably a reason you posted here, rather than laughing it off completely. Stay conscious of that instinct.

Saltedcaramel2014 Mon 13-Jul-15 20:14:53

Cheat I meant....

flatbellyfella Mon 13-Jul-15 20:35:33

It sounds like a Red Light situation.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now