Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I love you to bits - interpretation

(40 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Sun 12-Jul-15 16:47:09

oh wise MNers - I seek your interpretations smile Asking on behalf of my non Mumsnetting bestie.

If someone says they love you to bits. When asked "as friends?" they respond with "The to bits part should answer that question" ...do you take that to mean yes, I only love you as a friend or no, I love you as more than a friend?

Over to you...

ObeseDenise Sun 12-Jul-15 16:48:36

Yeah 'to bits' means in a friendly platonic way. Not in a 'want to jump your bones' way.

It's also an incredibly annoying saying imo.

gamerchick Sun 12-Jul-15 16:49:28

Depends on whether there was flirting going on anyway and both or one was fishing.

tumbletumble Sun 12-Jul-15 16:52:11

Yes, 'to bits' implies to me in a friendly, playful way rather than a passionate or romantic way.

Joysmum Sun 12-Jul-15 16:52:52

The friend is being a twat. Second friend is clearly confused and they don't see fit to clarify that.

cleanmyhouse Sun 12-Jul-15 16:54:20

I think it sounds as if someone is trying to avoid giving a straight answer.

What age are they?

tigermoll Sun 12-Jul-15 16:55:21

If you have to ask "do you mean that platonically?" then there is clearly something going on, from one side or the other. Does your friend WANT the 'l love you ' to be as a friend? is he /she getting vibes they want to nip in the bud?

twirlypoo Sun 12-Jul-15 16:55:56

It's a very patronising phrase - the fact they didn't clarify when asked says friends to me, but also that they are a bit of a coward. Your friends had a lucky escape!

BoyMeetsWorld Sun 12-Jul-15 16:55:58

Gamerchick - very long and extensive back history of flirting and emotions. so it's not without weight.

Joysmum - that's my fear too, if he's playing her, but wanted to see what others think.

StarDustMonkey Sun 12-Jul-15 16:56:44

It can mean either! I love my DH to bit, but would also say it to my kids and very close friends :/

StarDustMonkey Sun 12-Jul-15 16:56:55

bits* grrr

Stitchintime1 Sun 12-Jul-15 16:57:59

If he loved her in the way she wanted to be loved, she'd know it.

Stitchintime1 Sun 12-Jul-15 16:58:31

Unless he's a serial killer and "to bits" has a more sinister meaning.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 12-Jul-15 17:17:59

I love you to bits as a friend. I don't want to fuck you, but I like having you around. I love you like a comfy pair of slippers.

laurierf Sun 12-Jul-15 17:23:56

very long and extensive back history of flirting and emotions

She needs to close that down.

As Stich said, if he loved her in the way she wanted to be loved, she'd know it.

When you have to ask other people how to interpret something in this scenario, you are heading for heartbreak.

BoyMeetsWorld Sun 12-Jul-15 17:41:07

Ehric - what about in the context that the one certainty is that he does want to sleep with her (not that she would) just anything else that is in question.

does that change the "comfy shoes" take on it?

can you get "i love you to bits (and want to sleep with you) but only actually feel friendship for you" ?

Back2Two Sun 12-Jul-15 17:46:18

Difficult one....precisely why you should never say "to bits" and expect someone to know what you mean.

Somehow there might be a "I love you to bits ....BUT" in there.

Then Again, it's all got to be in context "I love you to bits" whilst gazing into eyes and moving in close means something different to "I loves ya to bits mate"

FenellaFellorick Sun 12-Jul-15 17:48:30

No idea. They know though so why can't they just answer a simple question instead of playing silly games?

laurierf Sun 12-Jul-15 17:48:59

Why doesn't she just ask him outright to give her a straight answer? Now.

laurierf Sun 12-Jul-15 17:51:39

can you get "i love you to bits (and want to sleep with you) but only actually feel friendship for you" ?

You can certainly get "i love you to bits (and want to sleep with you) but you're not "the one" because I don't actually love you.

ShipwreckedAndComatose Sun 12-Jul-15 17:54:47

I think he's playing her.

She should back right off.

Tetleys Sun 12-Jul-15 17:56:44

It's a very non-committal way of keeping his options open.

I think the ''i could sleep with you I guess, for a while, on my terms, but you're not the one'' is the interpretation I'd give it.

BoxOfKittens Sun 12-Jul-15 18:01:25

If she wants it to mean more then she will have to start that conversation by the sounds of it.

In my experience, a friend will go out of their way to not say "we will never be more than friends". The friend who said this "to bits" piece had their opportunity to clarify and left the water murky. Either due to being put on the spot so not having time to gather a proper answer, possibly confusion or even plain old cowardice (even if it is due to not wanting to hurt someone, it is still cowardice).

I've been in both positions and it is definitely a tricky one.

Stitchintime1 Sun 12-Jul-15 18:03:00

Is it you?

BoyMeetsWorld Sun 12-Jul-15 18:04:07

Stitchintime, thankfully - no. I think the guy in question is a prize idiot, but she won't listen to me so I wanted other opinions

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now