Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Feeling like I'm just going to be alone forever

(5 Posts)
ImNotCrazy Fri 10-Jul-15 20:38:13

I'm going to apologise now for the self-pitying thread just feeling down at the minute.

I'm in my early 20s and have a 4yo DS who is my world, left his dad 2 years ago as he was abusive and had a lot of issues he needed to work through. I've been happy on my own since then bar 2 short flings and have been focusing on DS and my career. I had really low self esteem after DS's dad and have worked hard on myself, had counselling and have actually been quite confident and back to my old self lately.

Been talking to an old friend for 6 months now who works abroad. We planned to meet up when he was back and although we connected really well texting/skyping I thought it would be different in person...too good to be true type of thing. Well we met and it was great, it was just for a coffee but we ended up talking for hours. Now however I just feel low. He's wondeful, opposite of my ex, ticks every box I could think of and wants to see me again and is confident this could be the start of something. But I have no local family or friends, I spend most of my time at work/uni and can't afford babysitters. How can I date? He wants to meet again for a proper date this time but I can't. I have had zero interest in men the last 2 years so never thought about these practicalities and always thought if I met someone we would date for a few months before introducing to DS but now I realise it's not that simple.

I'm being over dramatic I know but this had made me think I'm going to be alone until DS leaves home. I'm tempted to tell this guy to leave me alone and find someone less complicated who can actually see him. I'm not exactly much of a catch...young single mum with more baggage than manchester airport. Being daft and pathetic and I'm in need of a slap.

TheTroubleWithAngels Fri 10-Jul-15 21:18:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BackInTheRealWorld Fri 10-Jul-15 21:20:50

Don't you know anyone at work or at uni, or at wherever your child goes while you are at work or at uni? Plenty of parents out there looking for babysitting favour swaps.

Balders74 Fri 10-Jul-15 21:26:55

Does your DS go to nurses? Are there no other Mums there that could have him for a few hours one evening?

ImNotCrazy Fri 10-Jul-15 21:38:26

DS does go to nursery although he's just finished now for summer but unfortunately never really clicked with the other mothers. They're all in their 30s, married and most of them are SAHMs and although they would smile and say hello they would stick to themselves at parties and I don't know any other single mums who I could reciprocate with. The friends I have are young single party animal students and as much as I love them I wouldn't want them to have sole responsibility for my child lol.

Your right TheTroubleWithAngels I'm talking myself out of it. Not liked someone for years and the first thing I do is find a problem, fixate on it then decide to end it before it's even started to nothing bad can happen. I'm my own worst enemy sometimes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now