Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Flexibility with swearing

(18 Posts)
Inexperiencedchick Thu 09-Jul-15 18:08:21

How flexible are you with your DP/DH/DW usage of swearing words?

BeeRayKay Thu 09-Jul-15 18:09:06

Umn, we're both adults, so can speak how we like unless we're around the children.

00100001 Thu 09-Jul-15 18:09:09

How flexible? confused

pocketsaviour Thu 09-Jul-15 18:12:19

Do you mean swearing in general, or swearing AT you?

I am a foul mouthed trollop so unless there are kids around I don't mind my partner swearing in general. But there's a big difference between "What the fuck is this talentless pile of shit" at the telly and "for fucks sake you bitch" at me.

AuntyMag10 Thu 09-Jul-15 18:13:21

Dh and I are not sweary people at all. Tbh im really put off people who use swear words so naturally in their dialogue.

LosingTheWillToSkate Thu 09-Jul-15 18:13:27

Erm....we're both adult enough to use whatever words we want. Flexibility doesn't really come into it!

Inexperiencedchick Thu 09-Jul-15 18:14:07

What the fuck is going on? When the person questions you....

LosingTheWillToSkate Thu 09-Jul-15 18:14:27

But that said, I don't tolerate anybody swearing at me.

Inexperiencedchick Thu 09-Jul-15 18:16:35

AuntyMag, I'm one of them. Can't stand when people around me swear but prefer ignoring if the person is not relevant to me.

That is why I posted this question.

molyholy Thu 09-Jul-15 18:19:11

Depends on tone when said, but 'what the fuck is going on' is different to 'fucking tell me what the fuck you're up to'.

Inexperiencedchick Thu 09-Jul-15 18:20:59

Was expressed in purpose to create a hurt.

molyholy Thu 09-Jul-15 18:22:32

I would never swear around children, but in the comfort of my own home if I am warching something on tv I will say, well what a load of shite/bollocks etc. I would never tell my partner not to swear, unless it was at me, but he wouldn't do that, so not an issue.

AuntyMag10 Thu 09-Jul-15 18:22:51

I would not tolerate that and just walk away ignoring that person. Who swore at you op?

molyholy Thu 09-Jul-15 18:23:23

On purpose to hurt you, then no, not acceptable imho.

Joysmum Thu 09-Jul-15 18:25:23

For me, swearing isn't the issue and the intent is the key.

If my DH was deliberately setting out to hurt or punish and it was a situation causing but he blamed me then I'd challenge him.

If he were letting off steam and it was not me or aimed at me then I'd not have an issue.

If it were directed at me and I were the issue then I'd not have an issue.

Inexperiencedchick Thu 09-Jul-15 18:26:48

It's in the past but the pain remains...

I'm glad it's the past.

BitOutOfPractice Thu 09-Jul-15 18:27:48

Swearing WITH me. Swearing in conversation with me. Fine.

Swearing AT me. Not fine

Inexperiencedchick Thu 09-Jul-15 18:28:51

My parents don't swear and for me it was a lot to handle...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now