Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Would this upset you?

(32 Posts)
daizychain Sun 05-Jul-15 15:27:25

My dh has told me to stop cooking his meals he will make his own he doesn't like what I make. I have been cooking for 12 years. I feel upset about this but should I?

AlpacaMyBags Sun 05-Jul-15 15:28:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CamelHump Sun 05-Jul-15 15:28:21

Finallyonboard Sun 05-Jul-15 15:34:11

My dh hates my cooking so he cooks all of our food! I would be delighted if I was you. He should cook your food too though I think.

daizychain Sun 05-Jul-15 15:35:22

We have 4 dcs as well. They are finding it very strange. I give the dcs their tea quite soon after school and he is not home till later so I just eat with them. I don't know why I am upset. I feel like I have been sacked!!

Seriouslyffs Sun 05-Jul-15 15:37:15

We need to know so much more.
Is he trying to be healthily or eat less?
Will he also cook for you?

ItsaTenfromDen Sun 05-Jul-15 15:38:06

as long as he cleans up after himself

scarletforya Sun 05-Jul-15 15:39:42

I'd be delighted as long as he cleaned up after himself. It's just a pity he comes home late, otherwise he could do all the cooking.

daizychain Sun 05-Jul-15 15:40:42

He says he doesn't like what I cook. He did mention more salads and the dcs are not mad about them a lot. He doesn't clear up after himself. Maybe I am over reacting. I wanted to post this to get other people's view in case I was.

daizychain Sun 05-Jul-15 15:41:24

Oh no he wouldn't cook for everyone!

AlpacaMyBags Sun 05-Jul-15 15:44:53

CamelHump Sun 05-Jul-15 15:45:14

tallwivglasses Sun 05-Jul-15 15:45:48

Tell him he can damn well clear up after himself and cook family meals at the weekend. What's he making for himself? It's all very odd, isn't it?

CatMilkMan Sun 05-Jul-15 15:51:04

SELFISH?????? He doesn't want to eat things he doesn't like the horrible bastard!

Duckdeamon Sun 05-Jul-15 15:54:09

He is being a dick if he doesn't clean up after himself. He should also offer to cook for the whole family at least some of the time (if he eats later than the rest of you he could prep a family meal for the next day for you to finish off cooking, for example). Does he do a fair share of other kinds of domestic work?

Duckdeamon Sun 05-Jul-15 15:54:46

What do you do when he doesn't clean up?

googoodolly Sun 05-Jul-15 15:55:42

YANBU to be upset that he hasn't said anything before now! I don't mind when DP fancies cooking though, he's a wonderful chef and always offers to cook for me or make extra so I can take leftovers to work etc.

It's shitty of him to not want to eat your meals and also not offer to cook for everyone himself. Has he said why he doesn't like eating what you cook? It could be you cook more child-friendly meals and he wants something a bit more adventurous?

Could you cook for the DC and he cooks for you two when he gets home? I know my parents did that because I was a fussy eater and it worked out pretty well.

Backforthis Sun 05-Jul-15 15:56:47

Great. He can take over the adult cooking (and cleaning up afterwards) for a few weeks.

WhyTheDrama Sun 05-Jul-15 16:01:36

Unless he was being mean then I don't see that this is a problem. I'd happily let him get on with it. It's nice that you were cooking for him but I could understand that he might prefer food he has cooked himself. He can then prepare it exactly how he wants.

My DH and I like very different style food. I cook for him because he is gets in late but I'm sure he would prefer his own food.

I don't think it's 'offensive' to admit you prefer you own food.

OP, I think you are BU on the little info you have given.

Lweji Sun 05-Jul-15 16:01:58

Well, he does need to clear up after himself and cook for the family on weekends, then.
And why can't he cook for you, so that you can share a meal every day?

Do you get enough couple time?

Wrapdress Sun 05-Jul-15 16:04:53

No, I wouldn't be upset. I can't imagine having to eat what someone else makes me every day. My guess is I would be as big as a barn if I did that. For me to stay skinny I have to manage my eating in a way most people wouldn't tolerate. So, I would want to know why he wants to make and eat his own meals. What's his objective? Weight loss? Health? Lower sodium? Or is it more eclectic like my cousins who have issues with having too many ingredients on their plate which they can't tolerate. I mean, there really is no explaining personal preference when it comes to food.

FluffyMcnuffy Sun 05-Jul-15 16:07:28

I'd be annoyed that he'd kept it to himself for 12 fucking years that he didn't like my cooking!

I think I would actually be offended (I know that's slightly unreasonable) but I take great pride in my cooking and regularly cater dinner parties. I'd be gutted to learn my partner thought it was shit!

AliceAlice1979 Sun 05-Jul-15 16:08:53

That would upset me too and Id feel slightly rejected as cooking nice meals is a way I show love to my family - and if they don't offer constructive feedback so I can make what they like as well as what I want to cook Id feel worse.

daizychain Sun 05-Jul-15 16:40:14

I think that's what I feel Alice, slightly rejected. Not given much info cause that's about all I know. It came out of the blue. I always thought I was an ok cook. Maybe I do focus too much on the kids eating habits. I make shepherds pie from scratch, pasta dishes, lots of chicken and fish etc but nothing adventurous. It's only occasionally we have things like oven chips and fish fingers. I am at home full time as I have been very ill for a while so as I have had to give up my career we have reverted to those 'traditional' roles.

Howsithanging Sun 05-Jul-15 16:54:03

I think it's a way of opting out of family life.

A partner doesn't say suddenly after 12 years, I am doing my own thing unless there is a problem.

He could have suggested different meals instead.

Yes I would be very hurt and offended.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now