Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Smelly breath

(42 Posts)
Foogy Fri 03-Jul-15 20:01:12

Title says it all, not garlic/coffee breath but actually rotting teeth breath, and he's someone I'm dating fairly recently and this has always been a problem although our last date it had gone from mild to pretty severe. He's nice in every other way, good looking, career, personality.

rumred Fri 03-Jul-15 20:04:40

From experience it's poor diet/not eating regularly though I know dental problems and illness can be issues too. Have you googled?

Foogy Fri 03-Jul-15 20:08:57

Not googled, as I've only known him a short while I'm not really in a place to discuss with him lol! Thinking it could be a deal breaker tbh

rumred Fri 03-Jul-15 20:19:58

Yes. Not good. Check out his eating habits and state of his teeth...therein may lie the answer. How you raise it with him however, I'm afraid I have no easy answer. I'd Google in your position and weigh up options

SweetAndFullOfGrace Fri 03-Jul-15 20:21:00

Start as you mean to continue. I'd say something. He must surely be aware of it and just hopes no one else cares?

AuntyMag10 Fri 03-Jul-15 20:30:24

I could not deal with that. If you don't speak to him about it I'm not sure what else you could do

googoodolly Fri 03-Jul-15 20:31:40

I broke up with someone in my late teens because of his teeth! He was also a really heavy smoker but his teeth were utterly revolting. He said it was because he didn't bother to brush them as a teenager but tbh he never seemed to brush them as an adult either.

If it's grossing you out now, it won't get better!

TheHappinessTrap Fri 03-Jul-15 20:38:11

Teeth, uff. I couldn't stomach it. To me it would be like someone not showering properly, and I say that as someone who at times has questionable breath. For me it's genes, my mother, my aunt, all of us have great oral hygiene, and my teeth look great, but we have to keep on top of it.

StupidBloodyKindle Fri 03-Jul-15 20:39:34

Sorry, you need to tell him. If you don't, he is never going to end up with anyone long term, is he?
Look, if he is a decent kisser, halitosis aside(!) and you were considering sleeping with the guy then make it into a gift.
New toothbrush, Listerine, Colgate, dental floss...in a glass with a note that these are for him at your flat. (Bit only if he starts using them!)

PippiLicious Fri 03-Jul-15 20:41:30

Have you snogged him? Did he taste awful too?

Smelly breath would probably be a deal breaker for me unfortunately. Imagine what his morning breath would be like.

AuntyMag10 Fri 03-Jul-15 20:42:28

StupidBloody that gift is a pretty big hintgrin. And what would the op do if he doesn't even bother with it.

Foogy Fri 03-Jul-15 20:46:51

I am sleeping with him and he smells wonderful every where else, I thought his breath thing might be a passing thing but it's still there and getting worse. Lol to the toothbrush idea it's actually very good but I'm sure he does clean his teeth, his flat is exceptionally clean and he's a smart clean guy which is why I reckon bad teeth are the cause. Front teeth look fine though, not seen the back ones

rumred Fri 03-Jul-15 21:11:55

Seriously, look at his diet. Stomach juices and mouth bacteria can stink

Magicalmrmistofeles Fri 03-Jul-15 21:16:16

I couldn't do it. Is it bad teeth or not brushing teeth, I guess there is a difference in how you handle it.

katd999 Fri 03-Jul-15 21:21:11

Do you know if he flosses?
I suffered with bad breath, and never used to floss, until a couple of years ago- I didn't know it'd make such a difference! My breath is fine now. smile

AndDeepBreath Fri 03-Jul-15 21:26:43

It can be a horrid side effect of hayfever too ... Might be temporary? (Although he'd probably sense it himself too - I do when my throat's playing up!)

Meerka Fri 03-Jul-15 21:32:30

I think this comes under the heading of one of those conversations that only happen between good friends!

it is probably oral hygiene but it can be an indicator of a serious health problem sometimes. If he's normally meticulous about cleanliness and hygiene then it's worth getting it checked out at the dentist or even the doc.

This is one of the most awkward things to speak about but I think you have to try, otherwise it's going to become more and more of a dealbreaker for you and just possibly it could be a health problem he needs to get sorted out.

handfulofcottonbuds Fri 03-Jul-15 21:41:24

Does he brush his tongue?

OooMatron Fri 03-Jul-15 22:15:27

Well, this sounds ike my ex. He always had minging breath but I really liked him and never said anything. Once he said his back teeth felt wobbly and that his gums always bled when he brushed. I got him an electric brush as a present and suggested he go to my hygienist for cleaning and bleeding. He didn't go an his breath was still bad.

He dumped me and now I hope his rotten teeth fall out!

AlpacaMyBags Fri 03-Jul-15 22:19:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dowser Fri 03-Jul-15 22:25:41

I watched embarrassing bodies the other night and this poor 2015 year old girl went along with bad breath and she had tonsil stones.

Had never hears of it . Google it . It appears to happen to people who had had a lot of infection in their tonsils. Ths leads to pits were food collects and forms soft smelly cheesy stones .

If you look on you tube you can see people push them out with a cotton bud.

The young girl had them removed, the tonsils and her breath was fine after that.

Loletta Fri 03-Jul-15 22:33:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pigglesworth Fri 03-Jul-15 22:56:50

I was also going to suggest tonsil stones!

Howsithanging Fri 03-Jul-15 23:00:34

How can you kiss him/sleep with him?

Foogy Fri 03-Jul-15 23:05:27

Tonsil stones, soft smelly cheesy stones! bleuugggghhh sad That's really put me off now, if it's not bad teeth then this must be the cause. Just cannot imagine having the conversation with him even in a jokey way.
I don't have a clue if he brushes his tongue or flosses!!
I've known him for a year but only been dating about 6 weeks and his breath has always been bad. He does drink beer after work every evening and eats alot of restaurant food. What couldn't you do Magical? Be with him or tell him?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now