Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Am I right in thinking this?

(7 Posts)
nothingbutreble Tue 30-Jun-15 16:20:26

If your partner assault you and even if this is reported to the police,and you subsequently split, they are still entitled to see their children?

This must be so frustrating for so many women.

Fearless91 Tue 30-Jun-15 17:04:32

I'm not sure exactly but I think so yes. However they may only be allowed supervised access. Depending on their history.

ArseForElbow Tue 30-Jun-15 17:05:45

Must be under supervision though.

nothingbutreble Tue 30-Jun-15 17:11:00

That's not my understanding (re the supervision)

Does anybody know?

pocketsaviour Tue 30-Jun-15 17:47:38

You might want to post this in legal. But my understanding is that it's assessed on a case by case basis.

Bear in mind that it is the child's right to see their parent that is assessed, not the parent's right to see the child.

nothingbutreble Tue 30-Jun-15 17:49:59

True, but it amounts to the same thing.

goddessofsmallthings Tue 30-Jun-15 18:20:32

When an individual has been violent to a spouse/partner it does not mean that they forfeit parental responsibility for any dc they may have together, nor does it mean they will only be given limited access to the dc or required to see them under supervision at a contact centre or similar.

As ps has said, each case is asessed on an invidual basis and at any given time there are umpteen prisoners who are guests of Her Maj because of their violence towards spouses/partners who are required by the Courts to facilitate visits from the dc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now