Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

What contraceptive to take which won't kill my libido ?

(15 Posts)
Myfoofneedspruning Sun 28-Jun-15 16:17:44

I have been taking loestrin 20 (pill) for 3 years but stopped 2 weeks ago to have an extended break. This week, I really felt like my libido has came back. We used to be a once a month (twice sometimes) frequency but since I have stopped it has been more and it's enjoyable ! Dh and I decided he should get a vasectomy but in the meantime, what should I use ?

BlinkingHeck Sun 28-Jun-15 16:25:00

We use Comdoms, that way the inconvenience falls on him. I stopped having the depo injection for the same reason. He has now got round to seeing about the vasectomy as he doesn't like using condoms.
But he is 100% sure he doesn't want anymore kids.

YouMakeMyDreams Sun 28-Jun-15 16:41:42

Agree condoms.
I am in the same boat. Dp getting his vasectomy in august and I will be counting down the weeks for the all clear and no more pill. I have found it worse as I got older too but when I've not been taking it feel like a new woman

goodasitgets Sun 28-Jun-15 16:47:20

Copper coil? No hormones smile

Schoolaroundthecorner Sun 28-Jun-15 16:49:39

Copper coil yes, unless you already have heavy periods, it can make them worse.

mommyof23kids Sun 28-Jun-15 16:55:04

Condoms. I'm never taking hormonal contraceptives ever again...I like having a sex drive. And waiting 20 seconds for him to put it on isn't a big deal, cause I'm getting shagged silly after that.

Skiptonlass Sun 28-Jun-15 17:35:06

Iud. Copper if you want no hormones, or mirena which has a very low dose.

Myfoofneedspruning Sun 28-Jun-15 18:04:55

Thank you, I'm going to look at copper coil, condoms until I get sorted !

pocketsaviour Sun 28-Jun-15 18:07:05

If you're sure about the vasectomy, I'd just use condoms in the meantime. Coil stays in for 10 years.

expatinscotland Sun 28-Jun-15 18:07:33

If POP contraception kills your libido, then don't give in to getting a Mirena.

Jen1610 Sun 28-Jun-15 19:40:49

Absolutely nothing iv used has ever not affected my libido
iv tried -
The Mirena coil
Multiple pills
The patch
The injection

We used condoms for the last while before my husband got a vasectomy and our sex life has been the best in the past year without anything and not worrying about pregnancy!

TooManyDicksOnTheDancefloor Sun 28-Jun-15 19:50:58

Copper coil, I had mine fitted 2 months ago and my libido has massively returned. I'd forgotten what it was like to desire sexual contact! I really think hormonal contraception must be the reason for many failed marriages. My periods are much heavier, but short, unlike the implant where I bled every day for 6 months!

Kiwiinkits Mon 29-Jun-15 04:01:57

IUD. Hormonal contraception was a disaster for me, sex wise.

scaevola Mon 29-Jun-15 04:27:30

I see you've pretty much decided, but thought you might still find it worthwhile to look in the contraception topic, if you want to browse threads with a range of MNetters experiences of methods, including coils, condoms and surgical options:

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/family_planning

Myfoofneedspruning Mon 29-Jun-15 06:34:18

Toomanydicksonthedancefloor - completely agree on wanting desire sexual contact...Its such a great feeling to have again. Before I stopped the pill, we could go on for weeks without doing it and it was not great. Now I feel like a new person, more womanly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now