Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

DH's inability to cope with not being able to do things

(7 Posts)
Euphemia Fri 26-Jun-15 18:44:09

DH has now been upstairs for an hour trying to put up a shelf that fell down in the airing cupboard. He's turning the air blue swearing.

We have this every time there's a DIY job to be done. He's useless at these things, but he refuses to get a tradesman in.

He's lost the place. Shouting himself hoarse. He won't listen to reason.

How can I get him to accept that we can't do DIY jobs and that we need to get someone in to do them? He says he can't face the hassle, but surely it has to be better than this?

WhySoAngry Fri 26-Jun-15 19:33:19

Men, eh?

Euphemia Fri 26-Jun-15 19:35:57

I don't know - is it men? My dad was never like this, but then again he could turn his hand to anything. I don't know about my brother.

I'm useless but at least I admit it!

It's gone quiet - I think he's finally conquered the job. confused

AnyoneForTennis Fri 26-Jun-15 22:27:02

There's pressure on men to be a natural at DIY.... Getting someone in is seen as a failure

TendonQueen Fri 26-Jun-15 22:28:22

Next time, just book someone to come in when he's not around and do it.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Fri 26-Jun-15 22:29:58

DH doesn't tend to bother with things that involve fine motor skills or precision because he knows he's rubbish at them. I don't think it's a male thing, persisting when you aren't able to succeed. I think it's a stubborn thing.

trackrBird Fri 26-Jun-15 23:38:57

No, it's not 'men' per se, of course. Just pig-headedness. You must feel a bit tense whenever there's a job to do though? Or do you just let him get on with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now