Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Am I ready to start dating again? Is there ever a right time? When did you take the plunge.....

(5 Posts)
CowardlyCustardTart Thu 25-Jun-15 14:30:05

have name changed as ex dh is on here

am divorced - we split up in 2012. I asked dh to leave. He's a lovely man but a nightmare to live with and we had major issues in our sex life (he was very pushy and had some weird things he liked that he just couldn't get past).

I met new dp in 2013/4. I fancied the pants off him, very much my type physically and we were a great fit. But after around a year, I began to realise that he had a side which I wasn't very comfortable with - inability to say no to his friends (ever), issues with money and lying and gambling. It was very hard to end it with him because ignoring those (major lol) issues, we got on really well but in the end, end it I did.

So here we are 2015. I feel no desperate need for a partner but I am a bit lonely. I don't have a lot of friends and wanted to focus more on making friends but what I have realised is that I have friends, I just don't have that many very close friends and this won't happen overnight.

I have a FT job, dcs and not a lot of spare time. The thought of online dating terrifies me but I have no other way of meeting men (other than through work and I'd rather not!).

So if you took the plunge to get out there again, when did you do it? And did it feel right or was it a bit scary....

ALaughAMinute Thu 25-Jun-15 21:50:25

I'm just about to get divorced so can't really comment, apart from a brief affair but that's another story!

There's a good dating thread somewhere, have you seen it?

Good luck. I hope you find happiness soon.

Dowser Thu 25-Jun-15 22:14:38

I dated ( went on a dating site) a month after the ink dried on my divorce papers. Getting married shortly...7 years later...so happy!

My cousin started dating two months after her husband died. She seems really happy too with her new man.

There's no right time...just the right man ;-)

MsPepsi Thu 25-Jun-15 22:29:54

I think weirdly once you dip your toe you'll get a feel for if its right. I'm ready to start dating but I don't want to hurt my ex by dating soon after we split....but that's a whole dif post!confused

MyGastIsFlabbered Thu 25-Jun-15 22:36:43

I went on my first date a month after separating from my husband. My feelings for him had died a long time before we split but I was scared of being a single parent with 2 small boys.

It's still very early days with the guy I'm currently seeing (not the guy from the first date) but it's going well so far.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now