Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Birthday coming up

(6 Posts)
Ikeameatballs Sun 21-Jun-15 22:18:48

I've been dating a man for a couple of months. We seem to get on well etc.

It's my birthday next weekend, I'd already made plans for it before meeting him so I'll be away and won't see him.

So far he has not mentioned getting me a present/card/doing anything...

Am I being unreasonable (I know it's not AIBU not not feeling grave enough) to expect something?

Ikeameatballs Sun 21-Jun-15 22:19:16

Brave, not grave though I might have been flamed to death!

Janette123 Mon 22-Jun-15 08:16:29

Ikeameatballs,
How do you know he isn't planning something for when you get back?
He might just surprise you!
Don't worry about it.

Ikeameatballs Mon 22-Jun-15 09:02:15

I don't know, he might be....I suppose I'm really wondering if I'm being silly to expect something, just a token gift would be fine. We are def exclusive, our friends know we are seeing each other etc so starting to feel like boyfriend/girlfriend.

RepeatAdNauseum Mon 22-Jun-15 09:07:37

I think this is one of those early dating things that nobody quite knows the etiquette for.

If you've been together for a few months and you've already got something planned for your actual birthday, he probably won't suggest doing something else. He may well have got you a card and/or a token present, but I suppose he'll give those to you whenever he sees you closest to your birthday - mentioning them in advance would be a bit weird.

I'd focus on whatever you already have planned for the day. If he surprises you with something, that's lovely. If he doesn't, you won't have built up any expectations.

Ikeameatballs Mon 22-Jun-15 09:24:41

Thanks, I'll try to relax a bitsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now