Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Fathers Day

(38 Posts)
Balders74 Sat 20-Jun-15 19:53:25

Hi all. Just wondered how everyone is feeling about tomorrow?

My Step-father is dead & my real Father might as well be so I don't have to worry about tomorrow. I did consider my FIL to be as close to a Father figure as I could get but since I heartlessly told his emotionally retarded Son that I didn't want to be his Wife/Mother any more I have become persona non grata. Hey ho.

So then there are the DC & their idiot Father. I gave DD some money earlier to get him a card. It is going to be tough to find one that doesn't say 'Best Dad', 'Dad you're my hero' etc.

He is having them tomorrow. When I asked him earlier what he was going to do with them he just said 'dunno'.

I'm sure there are people who have a fabulous relationship with their Dad, I just don't know anyone!! grin

thecolourpink Sat 20-Jun-15 20:17:56

I have to say I have a great relationship with my dad, but as far as my family are concerned, It's how you are all year round that counts, not just on a single day. However... I can see why some people like go make a fuss. If everybody was the same the world the would be boring!!

givemehopehelpmecope Sat 20-Jun-15 20:28:47

Don't like Fathers day as my two have no contact with their father (due to his unforgivable actions) & I've just split from my P, the closest thing my youngest has ever had to a dad. So tomorrow will be difficult for us.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sat 20-Jun-15 20:57:48

DD will give me a peck on the bald spot at some point. That'll do me.

MrsEvadneCake Sat 20-Jun-15 21:00:34

My DH and I have no Dads now but I'll make sure his day is lovely because he does a great job of being a dad. Just a nice tea and lots of time with our DCs. I miss my dad very much, times like this just bring it to the front of your head.

Joysmum Sat 20-Jun-15 21:03:09

It's a sad day for us. My DH is still struggling to come to terms with the death of his DF a year ago and DD would like nothing better than to make him happy tomorrow, but he won't be and we'll all be down. sad

JillBYeats Sat 20-Jun-15 21:05:39

I Don't have a great relationship with my Dad but despite that he is a wonderfully supportive/dutiful father (in all but emotional ways). He doesn't believe in Father's Day though so I don't have to do anything there. Ringing him will just get me a lecture on ridiculous Hallmark inventions.

I will spend tomorrow with dh and our dc. He will fight with the older ones while spoiling the ones too young to argue back. We will not be making much of the day that's in it though.

AnyFucker Sat 20-Jun-15 21:36:57

I have a father but he is crap so I hate Fathers Day

My sympathies

kittybiscuits Sat 20-Jun-15 21:44:57

Same as you OP - not a happy bunny x

JustkeepswimmingNemo Sat 20-Jun-15 21:51:04

My sister always buys the present on my behalf, as i don't know him very well.
This year I was able to get a plain happy Father's Day card in a charity shop for 30p.

bigbumbrunette Sat 20-Jun-15 22:02:45

I don't have contact with my real dad but my step dad is an amazing 'dad' and Grandpa. We are so lucky.
My eldest already did Father's Day last weekend with her dad and smallest will see hers on Monday (we are 8 weeks post affair discovery and it's been hard buying a 'greatest dad' card for the twunt)
I'm meeting my bestest friend for lunch with my girls tomorrow instead. It's a bitter sweet day all round for us so a girlie day is the only way!

gildedcage Sat 20-Jun-15 22:11:48

My df died 5 years ago and I will find tomorrow very hard. My children and I will do things for my dh but I will spend the day devastated that I no longer have my dad. I just highlights a loss that you feel all year round. sad

karigan Sat 20-Jun-15 23:21:20

my father is a bit shite and we have barely any contact- I have no idea whether I'll see him tomorrow or not- depends whether or not he gets back to me.

My husband's father died six years ago- he's mostly over but this is his first father's day with our DD and whilst I know he's trying to be cheerful he's very cut up about it.

Coco0123 Sat 20-Jun-15 23:22:46

My two dcs have had no contact with their 'dad' (his choice) since I ridded myself of the abusive shithead that he was. I am so fortunate that my own father, although elderly now, is and has been the 'male figure' in my young children's lives. Dcs are excited about tomorrow and I think my 75 yr old dad is a bit too smile

1111Cleopatra Sun 21-Jun-15 00:24:45

I'm dreading tomorrow, my dad who I adored died recently & I only have a grave to visit. I have bought lots of presents for my children to give my STBXh tomorrow, after he totally ignored Mother's Day, but at least they have a dad to visit & celebrate with.

LovelyFriend Sun 21-Jun-15 02:05:56

I'm pretty much NC with my dad. There is an insurmountable void between us I doubt we will find a way to connect meaningfully again. Actually I don't know if we have ever had an honest meaningful connection.

Dc are with XP for the day.

I'm busy on non FD activities

TigerFeat Sun 21-Jun-15 02:15:27

I have a great relationship with my dad. Dd, ds and I spending the day with him tomorrow.

Dh is away for the weekend. Booked before any of us even thought about Fathers Day and the kids are a bit gutted about that as they have made him cards and bought little presents. He can have then on Monday when he gets back.

Ludoole Sun 21-Jun-15 03:43:44

My dad has alzheimers and a memory of about a minute. He wont even know its fathers day sad.

niceupthedance Sun 21-Jun-15 06:15:21

Fuck sending a Father's Day card to DS's dad who couldn't even be arsed to come and see his son's new school this week and even ignored my texts about it. Shittest dad ever.

kittybiscuits Sun 21-Jun-15 07:14:28

If you don't mind me splurging a bit more on your thread. ....

I am no contact with my own useless excuse for a father (his choice, but fine with me). Plus I have just found out yesterday that the cause of the hellish two weeks I just had with my teen was their excuse for a father sitting the children down at last contact and explaining that he simply is not willing to give me any more of his money. (He refuses to pa CMS mimimum) but that he is willing to pay some directly to them so they can enjoy more treats. And this, somehow, makes him seem heroic and me seem greedy. Grrr

Plarail123 Sun 21-Jun-15 07:32:00

My dad is crap, have seen him once this year. He has no interest in my son. My relationship with my son apparently is 'too loving' and reminds him of what he never had. So there will be no contact or card from me. My DSIS on the other hand has plans to go round there and make a big fuss of him because she relies on them for childcare.

FleeBee Sun 21-Jun-15 08:06:35

My dad was amazing. I was so lucky. He died 2 months ago. I'm heartbroken hmm

Goodbetterbest Sun 21-Jun-15 09:12:39

Couldn't find a 'Dad, thanks for the maintenance' card. Might start my own line of 'inadequate parenting' cards.

'Thanks for buying us tea in the pub last month hope to see you again'. Is another one I would get.

kittybiscuits Sun 21-Jun-15 09:44:43

So sorry for you FleeBee

Can't wait to buy some of your fantastic cards Good - there's such a gap in the market!

Ladymoods Sun 21-Jun-15 09:53:35

Whilst I have a good relationship with my own father, my dc's father has been nc for over 3 years now after I had the audacity to leave him for being an utter cunt. They make quite a big deal of fathers/Mother's Day at their school so I don't get the opportunity to just let it pass by quietly unfortunately.

The kids are great about it though, they just make a card and buy a gift from the school Father's Day sale (!) for my dad and they seem happy with that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now