Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Friendly, like, or not interested?

(15 Posts)
strawhat01 Fri 19-Jun-15 19:08:10

Myself and this i woman have known eachother for a couple of years, we work in the same dept, but don't see a great deal, of eachother really. I'm a little shy and so is she. Although she seems to have moments where she's shy and then other times not so. I'm trying to determine whther this woman may 'like' me, just being friendly or plain disinterested. Her behaviour is so confusing.
ok, so when I see her in the morning, sometimes she will see me walk in and look immediatly away, other times she won't even look, sometimes she will look at me. I normally arrive with a couple of other people, but I have noticed her body language changes to seem nervous, she will go to touch the back of her neck or hair etc, but I can't determine whether this is because of me or not. Now many times when I have approached her she will go to grab her ponytail, or touch her face or 'pull' on her clothes, other times not. Somedays she seems to come off as cold with me, once she has even avoided me completely and walked elsewhere to avoid passing me. Sometimes when I talk to her on her own, she can be jokey and laughing and quite loud. If she comes to ask me a question she will stand and pull down her sweater or top almost like a nervous thing. Me and another girl get in well, and the other girl is more loud and open with me, after she sees this (might be me overthinking though) she seems to try and be the same, like tease me, or even jokingly tell me off. Other times it's like she's to afraid to say soemthing or doesn't know what to say. When we talk she never really gives me strong eye contact, her eyes seem elsewhere and she seems to be messing with other stuff a lot. Occasionally she will look at me and just give a wide eyed stare. Some times we will look at eachother and smile, other times she will look and instantly avert her eyes or even look completely away. Then she will not give me anything or act 'cold' and make me think she in fact dislikes me. The way she acts sometimes makes me think this.
im sure there's more. Can you determine her behaviour?

cuntycowfacemonkey Fri 19-Jun-15 19:11:21

Dunno but if I'm honest you seem to be paying WAY to much attention to tiny details in her body language do you always over analyse things this much?

27inmyhead Fri 19-Jun-15 19:19:00

I don't know how on earth you can tell if she has feelings for you from small gestures like rearranging her jumper or touching her pony tail.

PS assume you are a man?

brokenhearted55a Fri 19-Jun-15 19:22:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wotsitsareafterme Fri 19-Jun-15 19:24:48

This could be me with the borderline nervous tic. Op are you Scottish? If yes then I do quite like you grin

teatrailer Fri 19-Jun-15 19:26:15

strawhat01, I remember you posting similar stuff about her months ago, haven't you made a move on her yet?

You need to speed up a bit.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 19-Jun-15 19:29:30

Are you both single? Is she your boss or are you hers?

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 19-Jun-15 19:30:53

Also times when she seems to be ignoring you she's probably just getting her head down / not wanting to disturb others.

MiniTheMinx Fri 19-Jun-15 19:46:55

Crikey, you could be describing me, avoid, avert eyes, gaze up, fidget, giggle, act aloof, flirt, and repeat...and yes I am more likely to do this if I find someone very attractive, I'm quite shy, slightly eccentric, top end of bright and I struggle in some social situations where I am not certain what someone's agenda is. Just ask her out.

bertsdinner Fri 19-Jun-15 20:12:40

Its difficult to answer whether it's just her mannerisms or if she does like you. I really like a guy at work, we are on different teams and dont speak. I find myself acting towards him the way you describe this woman, looking away if I catch his eye, being very aloof on the occasions our paths cross, self conciously pulling at my clothes, etc. If I see him walk down the office or go make a drink, I will usually avoid him. So there could be something there.
On the other hand, I was chatting to a male colleague I dont remotely find attractive today, and was self consiously pulling at my clothes, hair, so it could just be a nervous/social awkwardness thing.
You may also be giving off signals that she finds confusing.
The only way to find out is to ask her for a drink/coffee and see how it goes.

ALaughAMinute Fri 19-Jun-15 20:17:11

It's difficult to say. Why don't you try flirting with her to see how she responds?

Outwith Fri 19-Jun-15 20:22:36

Another one with déjà vu here! What advice did you get last time? Did you take it? What happened?

beaglesaresweet Sat 20-Jun-15 01:01:43

Well obviously not 'friendly', friendly behavoiur is even and not confusing. I remember your thread too, is there any reason you still couldn't ask her out for a coffee? surely nothing to lose by that? She won't show her interest in the office, as she is shy/nervous and maybe doesn't want others to see what's happening, you need to meet outside of work.

MadeMan Sat 20-Jun-15 01:42:14

Sounds flakey, rather than friendly.

molyholy Sat 20-Jun-15 11:24:29

Ffs ask her for a coffee and stop torturing yourself with these ridiculous thoughts. All she can say is no. You can then stop obsessing over her fixing her jumper, playing with her ponytail etc., and get on with your work hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now