Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Council tax advice needed

(12 Posts)
EmBod99 Mon 15-Jun-15 18:34:49

So my useless ex has just informed me he is in trouble with the council for not paying his council tax. My question is could this effect me at my property as he is officially still on the mortgage (although not given me a penny towards it since he walked out 8 months ago). I've taken him off the electoral role and I've informed the council he no longer lives here so I can claim the single person discount. Just worry bailiffs are going to come knocking!

Lacoba66 Mon 15-Jun-15 18:56:36

So if I understand you correctly, he has council tax arrears at a property that you have never lived at? If so, then don't be worrying- it's all his problem and has nothing to do with him still being on your mortgage.

Although I would add, that in the worst case scenario of him ignoring the Local Authority and the potential bailiffs, then they may check to see if he has any property, but that is usually in the first instance a car. They are also more likely to do an attachment to his earnings (assuming that he works).

twistletonsmythe Mon 15-Jun-15 19:03:46

he isn't registered as living with you so why would they come looking for him at yours? I would get him off the mortgage sharpish though - esp if his credit rating will be potentially screwed now.

HelenF350 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:05:22

Agree, get him off the mortgage ASAP and ask the credit file people to disassociate you from him as soon as he is off the mortgage. He will appear on your credit record otherwise.

EmBod99 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:06:23

Thanks Lacoba66 that's put my mind at rest....yes I've never lived at the property it's the flat he moved into after he left. He's always been bloody useless with money!!

EmBod99 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:08:00

I'm in the process of divorcing him and having a legal financial separation. Just everything takes so bloody long!

momtothree Mon 15-Jun-15 19:09:33

If he has a mortgage - paying or not he could still apply for a loan against your property. Please look into it.

Lacoba66 Mon 15-Jun-15 19:12:09

Can I just add that having council tax arrears, actually doesn't affect your credit rating. It would be dealt with through the Magistrates courts- so like some parking fines and TV licence debt, none of these show on a credit rating. smile

LIZS Mon 15-Jun-15 19:13:56

Technically while it is still partly his asset it could be charged against. How much equity is there in the house? If you have a solicitor negotiating you need to make them aware.

EmBod99 Mon 15-Jun-15 20:03:07

No chance of him getting a loan....his credit is awful. One of the reasons for our split is he couldn't manage money and in the end resented me for taking control. Will speak to solicitor tomorrow. Thanks all.

Fallandfly Mon 15-Jun-15 21:59:24

No it's his debt and bailiffs would go to him. It's dealt with at magistrates court and is technically criminal (can lock you up if they see fit -although don't generally) doesn't impact credit ratings etc.

Fallandfly Mon 15-Jun-15 22:01:11

Council would be interested to know where he works, as will attach to his earings. Might be worth telling them where if you worried about house but it would have to go along way before they attach to property.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now