Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

OLD - I look like an old hag :(

(32 Posts)
makemelookfabulous Sun 14-Jun-15 17:50:19

What can I do? I'm ready for online dating but I don't have any decent pics. I don't want to scare them off at the first hurdle! I don't really 'do' selfies but I've had a little try. My eyebags jump out, ditto those 2nd & 3rd 'laughter lines', my eyelids droop & my hair's seen better days. Any tips to get a halfway decent picture? Everytime I walk past a mirror I'm suprised at the old hag who looks back at me, I have a tired face. I'm 45 but might look a little older & have never worn make-up, ditto hair, I just wear it plain & straight. Any ideas?

Lozfc Sun 14-Jun-15 17:51:47

Get a makeover at any good salon

Wideopenspace Sun 14-Jun-15 17:52:38

Take the photo from slightly above and at a bit of an angle.

And get some Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser - it is a WONDER PRODUCT. Seriously.

Works wonders grin

I am also an old hag btw..

BitterAndOnlySlightlyTwisted Sun 14-Jun-15 17:57:25

Get someone else to take the picture once you've had your hair restyled and feeling more confident. Preferably when you're smiling. That should take about a decade off at least.

handfulofcottonbuds Sun 14-Jun-15 17:57:42

Black and white shot? Touche Eclait? Blow dry your hair?

I'm sure you're not as bad as you think you are. We're our worst critics smile

FeckTheMagicDragon Sun 14-Jun-15 18:00:22

Never mind the bad - tell us the good points?

ALaughAMinute Sun 14-Jun-15 18:00:40

Experiment with lighting. If you want to look your best then you will need good lighting.

I bet you don't look that bad anyway. You might have eye bags but a sparkle in your eye is everything! smile

Stubbleandbubble Sun 14-Jun-15 18:03:53

I prescribe a GOOD overhaul - new hair, botox, teeth bleached, new eyebrows, new capsule wardrobe and then do the photos.

Cancookdontcook Sun 14-Jun-15 18:13:12

My photos are from some distance away. Breathe in and make sure they are slightly blurred (my 9 year old took mine!)

makemelookfabulous Sun 14-Jun-15 18:29:24

Showing my stupidity here but I don't know how to blow-dry my hair. It's one of those things I never learnt growing up. I can get my dd to do my eyebrows although it hurts like buggery Good points are I'm slim smile & I know how to dress well.

Wideopenspace Sun 14-Jun-15 18:32:49

Angles, OP, it's all about angles.
Try it. Hold the camera above your face, slightly to the side.

I go from double chinned eye bag monster to winsome wench immediately grin

TopOfTheCliff Sun 14-Jun-15 18:41:28

stubble I really hope you are joking. OP hasn't got to 45 without wearing makeup or having fancy hair because she was locked in a cellar! She presumably doesn't like it, so it would be false advertising!

I am the same as you OP so I put up some active outdoors pictures of me doing my hobby and found nice men to chat to who liked the same thing.

ALaughAMinute Sun 14-Jun-15 18:46:38

For anyone who can't blow dry their hair, I would recommend a Boots Instyler - it's a rotating iron that does the same job as a professional blow dry. My hair is frizzy and curly and I don't know where I'd be without it. smile It's expensive but well worth the money IMO.

Brightonmumtoatoddler Sun 14-Jun-15 18:47:21

There's a photo app on my phone called 'retrica' which you can download. Makes me look much better than I actually do!

MumSnotBU Sun 14-Jun-15 18:48:15

I'm going to take a different view. Loads of people look their age and older, it's not a crime. They are loved my their partners regardless of their looks.' Happy' wrinkles are lovely, and men don't worry about theirs.

A truly good man would not judge by looks, they would read your profile and decide mainly on that if they want to meet you. I'm sure a lot of men on these sites have average looks for their age, and just want a lovely person to be with.

thanksthanksYou sound lovely.

Rebecca2014 Sun 14-Jun-15 18:57:49

If I did not wear make up or do my hair, I would be hideous and I am 25 years old.

Maybe time to start looking at make up? you would feel and look a lot better.

handfulofcottonbuds Sun 14-Jun-15 19:01:06

I wouldn't advise 'enhancing' your photos with apps etc as this will just knock your confidence on a date when they are expecting someone different to turn up.

Get an honest friend to tell you what photos to put up, you only need a couple.

TheLastCarnival Sun 14-Jun-15 19:01:33

I bet you don't look anywhere near as bad as you think. I like TopofTheCliff's idea of using photo's of you engaged in a hobby.

Stubbleandbubble Sun 14-Jun-15 19:06:24

Topofthecliff I'm deadly serious. Why shouldn't the OP tidy up and present her best self?
It's all very well being 100% authentic, natural etc etc. I know plenty of women who have made that choice - don't dye or blow their hair, minimal makeup etc. They are very happy intelligent women. And without exception are single.

OLD is dressing for an audience and your audience is men. So present how they like it in order to get one.

Stubbleandbubble Sun 14-Jun-15 19:08:38

Mumsnotbu

"A truly good man would not judge by looks, they would read your profile and decide mainly on that if they want to meet you. "

Possibly. However an ordinary nice bloke wants a woman slightly younger and better looking than himself. OLD isn't an exploration into self discovery, it's about getting a fella.

TopOfTheCliff Sun 14-Jun-15 19:15:04

The problem stubble is that doing all that extra work with the botox and the eyebrows may lure in an unsuspecting "fella" but to keep him OP will then have to endure ongoing eyebrow maintenance and chemical enhancement to keep him. Whereas if she can find one who actually likes her unenhanced she can get on with enjoying her life without all the faff

There are plenty of men who don't like makeup on women and wouldn't notice the "improvements". Mine for example!

Stubbleandbubble Sun 14-Jun-15 19:20:22

You hold onto him Topofthecliff, he's a rare breed!winkgrin

Stubbleandbubble Sun 14-Jun-15 19:22:21

I'm not on about a facelift and new tits, just a good fix up. Like you might do for a big wedding or school reunion. You wouldn't just rock up in your everyday gear to that and yet could still meet someone nice, so why wouldn't you put your best foot forward for your OLD profile?

Stubbleandbubble Sun 14-Jun-15 19:24:10

And also it could do the OP the power of good to wash up well if she's feeling right now like a "hag"!

Paddlingduck Sun 14-Jun-15 19:25:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now