Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

I'm not sure I feel ready to move in together

(6 Posts)
20secondstoimpact Wed 10-Jun-15 17:45:15

Actually writing that down feels like I've admitted it to myself. I've felt anxious about stuff recently and I think this may be at the root of it.

We've been together for nearly 18 months. Shouldn't I want to live with him by now though? I do, in some ways. But I am used to my own space. And although I see his DC every couple of weeks, that's a bit different to them living here (that makes it sound like I don't like them - I do, I'm not sure I'm used to having them around all the time though).

Does this seem normal? I've only ever lived with one person and that was a long time ago.

AtWorkNotW0rking Wed 10-Jun-15 17:48:42

Does he have his own place? Do you have your own children?

I think I'd be telling him that you'd like to see how you feel in a year or so

KetchupIsNearlyAVegetable Wed 10-Jun-15 17:52:54

If you are not ready, you are not ready. If you rush it, you'll smother it.

What's wrong with living separately anyway, especially if one of you has DC?

FantasticButtocks Wed 10-Jun-15 17:56:20

Your feelings are there for a reason. And I think it is always a good idea to listen.

There is no 'should' about when/whether you want to live with him, really there isn't. It is not a small thing deciding to share your living space with another person, let alone someone else's children.

Don't allow yourself to be pressured into doing something which may not suit you. Another person's children in your home on a regular basis is a BIG thing.

20secondstoimpact Wed 10-Jun-15 17:59:53

He has his own place yes, but we spend most of our time at mine because of my DC.

We were planning to move in together in 3-6 months. We can stay living separately of course but financially we'd be much better off living together - I'd have an extra £500-600 a month to do some of the things I dont do now because I cant afford them.

Handywoman Wed 10-Jun-15 21:41:25

So much more to it than money. Such an important step. Don't rush it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now