Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you need help urgently, please see our domestic violence webguide and/or relationships webguide, which can point you to expert advice and support.

Should I stay or should I go now?

(1 Post)
haveyouseenmybadger Sun 07-Jun-15 10:57:19

I find myself at a crossroads... I am married with 2 DS's, both under 5! but I just don't feel the same about my partner as I once did.

I think we are not very compatible with each other. I think we rushed into marriage and have been trying to keep it going for our kids ever since (we got pregnant very quickly after marriage!) I think because we both want to be there for our children.
I'm not sure I can stay though, the criticism, lack of intimacy, the fact that, as it turns out, we have less and less in common than I once thought we did!

Now comes the main problem... I am the main earner, and always have been. I have a relatively good job with pretty good prospects. My partner is a SAHP and has limited career prospects (they always struggled with educational settings and work environments due to anxiety issues etc, limiting their career options)

If I left, my children would probably stay with my partner most of the week. (I would of course make sure child support etc was paid!)... But, I feel if I leave that my DS's might suffer. We rent, and my partner would be unable to afford to stay there easily. In fact in the short term I think they probably would be able to through benefits etc (_please no benefit bashing_)!... but its more for 2-3 years from now when she would be required to find a job to support herself and kids.. I'm just not sure what she could do that would pay well enough to support her and the kids.

So what do I do, stay for the sake of my children, and keep banging my head against the wall in our marriage... Or leave, and give both of us a chance of finding someone who makes us happier, but gamble that my children might suffer...

Advice Please!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now